What to do when South Park is all ICE. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What to do when South Park is all ICE.

Thought I would share with you some video of my fishing buddies boat in Los Suenos Costa Rica. Some very neat drone and underwater shots.
Two day trip ended up with 22 marlin released out of 36 bites......World Class fishing for sure.
Bill
Anteroman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

The title should have been: “What to Do When Time and Money Are Not an Issue.” If those two criteria were met, South Park would be nothing more than a distant third or fourth thought for me… Honestly, I don’t know how much I would be thinking about South Park when I am retired. And only one of those two variables would be met by then: time. I don’t plan on being in Colorado when I am retired, period.

Last edited by aofisher; 02-06-2015 at 02:16 PM.
aofisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 01:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Did they f***ing just cut that line around the 3 minute mark? I have never deep sea fished so maybe that's something that happens on the regular that I am just not aware of but what in the hell is the point in fighting a fish that long and not even looking it on the side of the boat? Is it just a marlin thing because they are so dangerous? Also x2 what ao said
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Once they touch the leader its considered caught and they cut it loose.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nice private jet...
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Billfish information.

When fishing for billfish, after the hook-up, the angler and crew work very hard to release the fish as quickly as possible. (Note the speed Capt. Jose backs down on the fish) The reason for this is the fish has a much better chance of survival, if released quickly. In tournaments, once the leader, which is 20' long, touches the rod tip the fish is considered "caught" . The mate then cuts the leader as close to the fishes mouth as possible. For the past 10 years or so only circle hooks are allowed in this fishery and they normally will be discharged or disintegrated within a short period of time. Survival rates with properly handled billfish approaches 98+ %.

As regards living in South Park, we are there 6 months of the year and my wife and I do not know of a better place in the US that WE want to spend our retirement. We come down to Florida for the winter as I am not a big fan of ice, no dig on you folks who walk on the "Bourbon Chiller".
See ya'll in April.
Bill
Old 02-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whadleyco View Post
When fishing for billfish, after the hook-up, the angler and crew work very hard to release the fish as quickly as possible. (Note the speed Capt. Jose backs down on the fish) The reason for this is the fish has a much better chance of survival, if released quickly. In tournaments, once the leader, which is 20' long, touches the rod tip the fish is considered "caught" . The mate then cuts the leader as close to the fishes mouth as possible. For the past 10 years or so only circle hooks are allowed in this fishery and they normally will be discharged or disintegrated within a short period of time. Survival rates with properly handled billfish approaches 98+ %.

As regards living in South Park, we are there 6 months of the year and my wife and I do not know of a better place in the US that WE want to spend our retirement. We come down to Florida for the winter as I am not a big fan of ice, no dig on you folks who walk on the "Bourbon Chiller".
See ya'll in April.
Bill
Sounds like you guys got it just the way you want it! Sounds good!
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
See ya'll in April.
Bill
You are a trout guy, so it makes sense for you. I plan to do the North/South annual migration in my later years too. For the southern location, it's probably going to be Florida. For the northern location, there are plenty of other places I would rather be than South Park.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Trout Fool

AO,
You are correct, after 40+ years of saltwater fishing I have turned into a "Trout Nut". I still enjoy the salt occasionally and fortunately, through several business contacts, have boats available to fish with. The big game thing has gotten insanely expensive over the years and I am not one of the guys who can afford it. Again I am able to do it with other peoples boats which is a good thing.
Trout are simple for me, living in South Park gives me access to all three reservoirs within a 10-20 minute ride from the house, not to mention the streams and rivers.
My "Boat" burns 12-15 ounces of fuel per outing and the clean-up time for tackle and boat is about 5 minutes........an hour and 1/2 shorter than most saltwater operations and we won't even talk about the fuel.
All fishermen have their preferences and mine obviously are the trout.
Bill

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/wha...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 02-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
AO,
You are correct, after 40+ years of saltwater fishing I have turned into a "Trout Nut". I still enjoy the salt occasionally and fortunately, through several business contacts, have boats available to fish with. The big game thing has gotten insanely expensive over the years and I am not one of the guys who can afford it. Again I am able to do it with other peoples boats which is a good thing.
Trout are simple for me, living in South Park gives me access to all three reservoirs within a 10-20 minute ride from the house, not to mention the streams and rivers.
My "Boat" burns 12-15 ounces of fuel per outing and the clean-up time for tackle and boat is about 5 minutes........an hour and 1/2 shorter than most saltwater operations and we won't even talk about the fuel.
All fishermen have their preferences and mine obviously are the trout.
Bill

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/wha...tml?sort=3&o=0
I have family in Minnesota, Wisconsin and eastern Pennsylvania. Walleye and pike are what I would like to chase, so any of those states would be better than Colorado. As for salt, those trips offshore cost serious money in gas. Not to mention the gear. I'm thinking about the flats instead. I have always preferred fishing and casting close to shore anyway.

I know someone who knows you. Based on what he's told me, my pockets won't be as deep as yours when I retire. But I have a long-term financial budget for myself and, hopefully, I can retire the way I plan to.

Southpark is really a nice area. I spent a weekend at my former boss' $2.5M house in Frisco in the winter of 2006. It was cozy being holed up in a nice house on a snowy weekend, but I can't afford anything like that...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in