Sugestions for South Dakota Lakes near Mt Rushmore - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sugestions for South Dakota Lakes near Mt Rushmore

Looks like a road trip to Mt. Rushmore is set for this weekend (3/28-3/31) with the wife and our two boys. If we have time I would like to try and hit up a walleye lake in the area or along the way. I will be limited to the shoreline. Any information is appreciated, PM's are welcome as well.

Thanks, Roman
Baby Huey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have always wanted to go up in the spring and fish Belle Fourche Reservoir up by Spearfish. I was born in Rapid City, and I still have family in Spearfish...

According to the SDGFP site, they have Walleye, Perch, Channel Cats, Crappie, Smallies, White Bass and Tiger Muskies.

Have fun up there!

Edit:

Just took a look online, and it looks like Angostura Reservoir in Hot Springs might work better, since it's more on the way to/from, as opposed to being north of the Hills.

Last edited by ScottH; 03-24-2015 at 09:25 AM.
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Scott, thanks much for the information! Hopefully I can get some fishing in. I'll check out the SDGFP site as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

No walleye Roman, but Pactola has some great Lake Trout fishing...might be good from shore right after ice off. It's just off the road between Hill City and Deadwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkl5gWvaK1s
hobiecat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

The most direct route takes you by a good walleye fishery, but not in SD. Glendo has plenty of walleye and should be solid right now. Angostura in SD (south of hot springs) has em too, but fishing could be slow this time of year.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Deerfield Reservoir if its iced out. MONSTER brookies. State record is 12lbs or so. Most guys catch them on late ice, around this time. Sheridan Lake is a good spot for Northerns. I can give you two exact spots on Sheridan where I caught 10lbers. Pactola Reservoir is kind of tough to fish from shore but has Lakers that have probably never seen a tube jig or a swimbait.

If you are up north near Spearfish, Belle Foruche reservoir has good sized eyes and is probably the best Fisherman Friendly lake Ive ever fished. The road goes all the way around the lake giving you shore access to the whole thing. If the water temp is really cold, as in prespawn, the inlet channel will have them stacked up. Caught my only Muskie in that channel.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

http://www.sdoinsider.com/angostura_reservoir
Old 03-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Right on hurly, thanks!
Old 04-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, we made it up to see Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. We stayed in Rapid City. I didn't get much fishing in, but was glad to wet a line with my boys for an hour and a half each day.

Our fist stop was Mt. Rushmore.

After Mount Rushmore, we didn't have enought time to go to Crazy Horse, so my wife and aunt were cool with me taking the boys to Deerfield (Thanks Scott).

It was a nice lake in the Black Hills, and it was surprisingly empty - we didn't see anyone! We walked past the boat ramp a ways and started fishing. I put some gulp worms on the boys slip bobber rigs. The gulp is much tougher than the real thing, as the boys like to cast, reel and repeat. Still working with them on lures, they get snagged most of the time so the slip bobber works well for them. We didn't get into any of the brookies, but we did see a few 10-14 inchers swimming the shoreline.

The next day after Crazy Horse, we went to Angostora (Thanks Scott and Tim) on the way home.

We hiked a bit to get down to an area that looked like it would be good for eyes. Set the boys up with the bobber rigs, but they quickly found throwing rocks on the shoreline and "mining" for gold was more fun. I lost a few jigs, but had 3 bites, landing only one. There was one I had on that had some great pull to it, but it came unbuttoned.

The fish cleaning station was great and it looked to be a great reservoir. Hopefully I can get back there sometime - it would be nice to see Crazy Horse finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in