Playa del carmen/ Cozumel fishing - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Playa del carmen/ Cozumel fishing

Hey guys, will be in the Playa del Carmen/ Cozumel area mid July, was wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences fishing in that area. Will have other family members wanting to fish, so it might be more of a quantity vs quality type trip. (i.e. catch lots vs trolling all day hoping for a marlin.) I've never been there, so if anyone has any suggestions of good/bad charters, or anything else, any info is greatly appreciated!

John
JohnnyO19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have been fishing in that area a few times. The first couple times i was talked into going for "big" fish, which meant trolling the entire time. I did get some fish, but the fishing was not as enjoyable. The gear was heavy. The third year i hired a guy to take me out on a panga, we fished just past the waves using lighter tackle. The fishing was awesome. We caught sierra, baracuda, and other misc fish. Caught so many fish we went in early. I was worn out. Two years ago we hired a guy to take us out to the reefs. My wife and I caught over 100 fishin six hours. The fish were smaller, but real fun. We caught trigger fish, and various rock bass. And finally, last year we hired a guy to take us into the mangrove estuaries to fish for skook and sea trout. Caught them on surface lures like spooks and big hula poppers. That was a lot of fun as well. All these trips were in mid to late july. I had way more fun the quantity over the quality.
36505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Fished there many times. Like above report I had more fun fishing closer with lighter gear. The captains really only troll frozen ballyhoo for cudas. I always had my own gear and fished like I do in Florida. Its sad to see how much trash/debris is floating in the water down there but the plus was if theres trash there's fish below it. Lot of fish and a lot of variety.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2015, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

There is an article in the latest issue of American Angler on DIY fishing Tulum, about 80 miles south of Cancun. Might have some useful info.
mkg4478 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2015, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Man, I was there years, well maybe a decade ago. It was a bad time - had Federalies ordering us out a gold cart with automatic weapons pointed at us. Should have gone fishing for sure....... Dove Cozumel a few years ago, didnt do any fishing, should have. Let us know how you do!
andyrm66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

We went down there in January and hired this guy: Carlos Ivan Catzin Dzib- [email protected]

I went fly fishing for bonefish in the mangroves to the north of Cozumel and had a blast! I forget how much we paid for a half day but we ended up being out well over the 4 or 5 hours and I'm sure he would have stayed out all day (he still only charged us the half day rate).

He does spin fishing guiding as well, I would definitely recommend him.
fcollinscatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch guys for all the replies! I'm not much of a fly guy, so it's spin gear for me. Seems like the Tanga may be the way to go
JohnnyO19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

good to know. i am going out there as well next spring/summer
mattyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in