ketchikan salmon & halibut - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default ketchikan salmon & halibut

Four of us just got back from Alaska and the fishing was incredible. We caught kings, coho, chum and pinks everyday for three days. Halibut and bottom fishing was the best I have ever experienced. We had four lines down about two minutes in 310' of water and had three doubles and a single nothing over 40 lbs. The biggest king was 28 lbs. with many around 20-22 lbs. Weather was about like here with flat seas and a pleasant boat ride for about 1 1/2 hours each way The first day we caught 48 fish and kept six.
jonesboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here is the info about our Ketchikan trip.
-We fished 4 on our boat but you can "buy the boat" and fish 1-6 for the same price in most cases. We paid $1,600 per day, the prices seemed to vary within $200. We were comfortable but anymore would be to many.
-We stayed at the Cedars which is where most all the sports-fishing charters return and depart from. They also process and package the fish. We had a deluxe ocean side room but I would get a economy ocean side if we go again. $180--$250 per night. We bought the package deal which includes all meals, room, fish processing and airport transfers. Really friendly people. We paid $2,750 per but you can get a good package for around $2,200 to $2,500. You can walk to downtown and they have a free shuttle that will take you.
-We flew Delta to Seattle, to Ketchikan and return.
-We fished with Dalin Charters and Sam is really good but he is really quiet and wants to keep everything you catch. Make sure he understands Barbless hooks and catch and release. I probably would not fish with him again because of this. There are several charters that work with the Cedars and all seemed to be very good at what they do.
-We departed at 7:AM and returned 3 to 4 PM all three days.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the intel. My wife and I are wanting to do a Halibut trip in the future. Haven't decided whether or not to do it off the Washington coast or further north.
mycaye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

The airplane that crashed and killed 9 yesterday was moored at the dock right outside our window. There must have been 50-60 float plane flights a day from the bay. I am surprised that there are not wrecks in that bay as cruise ships, fishing boats, commercial freighters and float plans all use a rather small bay. Sure a tragic accident.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ketchikan is a great place!! i lived there for 10 years before moving down here
ibgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Got to agree with you. It is a wonderful place, wet but wonderful! I guess it gets 13' of rain a year? I might go bonkers, don't like wearing swim fins and a snorkel to bed..Ha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in