Lake El Salto W/ Pro Bass Adventures - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake El Salto W/ Pro Bass Adventures

Sorry for the delay in posting my report... I've just been busy/sick/tired/lazy/etc

But without further ado:

Brief overview of the trip:

Trip was booked through Pro Bass Adventures (http://mexicofishing.net/)

7 Full days at Lake El Salto in Mexico (January 3, 2018- January 9, 201
Total cost(not including airfare) per person was $2,295(All inclusive)
Airfare was just about $600 per person (Round Trip)
Fished each day from about 6:00am -12:30pm and from 2:00pm to 6:30pm (About 11 hours each day)

Was kinda weird as we were the only guests at the lodge for the 1st 5 days and the last 2 days only 1 group of 4 showed. Was nice to have the place to ourselves but i think we would have figured out the bite better if we had more boats out. When the group of 4 showed up they used the info we had figured out in the last 4 days.

Anyway - Each Days Schedule went pretty much as follows:

Wake-Up/Coffee Delivery time (for Luke) was 5:15am and breakfast was at 5:30. (Although we set our own alarm for 4:15am so we would have time to take showers/get ready.) We always let Hollywood know the night before what we wanted for breakfast... limited choices of Pancakes, French Toast, Chorizo, Eggs, Bacon, Ham, and obviously Tortillas (Flour and/or Corn). Breakfast would also come with a plate of fruit (most days) and a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice(one day it was really really watered down but all other days it was delicious). The fruit was always really delicious and the breakfast was also pretty good as well! It did the job of giving me the energy I needed to make it to lunch although I did bring snacks on the boat (as they do not supply any boat snacks at all... Just drinks)

Lunch took place from 12:30 - 1:00ish… we were served whatever they wanted as there was no menu so we had no choice. We used the additional time after eating to re-apply sunscreen and get gear ready, nap, etc... Could have went back out sooner, and we did the first day, but was nice to have the extra time to relax!!

Dinner took place around 7:00 each day…. We were served whatever they wanted as they do not have a menu or choices for dinner either, only breakfast I guess.

Lunch and Dinner were a mix of mostly American food with some Mexican food mixed in. I am no food connoisseur but I thought the food was alright. I wish there would have been a menu/choices but I was able to settle with most every dish even though I am a really picky eater. They did make me mo own lunch one day when they new I wasnt going to like what they were serving.

If you are interested in seeing pics of the food:
https://imgur.com/a/onf8j

Day 0 - Arrival Day/Travel Day

Luckily it was a relatively uneventful day as far as travel goes... Left DIA @ about 8am, had a quick layover in Phoenix, and arrived in Mazatlan @ about 1:30. When we got to Mazatlan the dog alerted to my bag so I was pulled aside for a quick search… Guess it was the Beef Jerky in my bag that set the dog off… but luckily they let me keep my Jerky as that is one of the snacks I brought. Then around the next corner to get my bags x-Rayed or whatever they do… That caused them to search all of my bags… even the bag with jerky again LOL. I wasn’t worried as I knew I did not bring anything illegal.
When we got there we were eventually met by the driver/host/waiter/etc Omar(AKA Hollywood) .... He was waiting for us but was expecting us to have a rod tube(that we decided not to bring and had advised Doug King, who we made reservations through, ahead of time) so it took a few minutes for us to locate him.. Luckily the other guys in the airport were familiar with who Hollywood was and directed us toward the bar.

The drive from Mazatlan Airport to the Pro Bass Adventure lodge was about 1hr 45 minutes but we eventually arrived. We weren’t in a hurry as we weren’t scheduled to fish until the next day anyway.
Couple pics of the hotel/motel

View from outside the room

We elected to use rods that they had available to avoid the cost/hassle of bringing our own rods. They had an alright selection...... with the exception of my siwmbait rod I didnt regret the choice.

Picking out rods!!!

We would put our rods/gear out fron of the room each morning and it would be brought down and put in the boat for us while we eat breakfast.(And also returned to our room each evening after getting off the water.)
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Day 1
About 100 fish in the boat... Luke caught the majority but I got the biggest @ 6.19lbs

Day 2

About 85 fish in the boat. I caught the majority along with the 2 biggest. 6.18(skinny fish that would have went 8 if it had a full stomach) and a 6.35. Unfortunately Luke struggled a bit.

Day 3
Another 80+ fish day. I caught the most but Luke managed the biggest 2 @ 6.24 and 4.95. I caught quite a few 2.75-3 lbers but nothing worth a picture.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Day 4
I had a pretty good day! Luke had a much better one though. We both got a 6(Lukes was 6.24.. on topwater!!! and mine was 6.48 on a swimbait/Scrounger) and I got a 4.88. We got a few in the 4lb range and quite a few 3ish lbers. Overall we boated about 120 fish and the majority was topwater The topwater bite lasted almost all day!!

Day 5
Another 100+ fish day... Luke caught the majority but I caught the biggest @ 5.7lbs with Luke not far behind at 5.2lbs. We had numerous 4s and even more 3's. Was a fun day...

Day 6
Boated over 120 fish total. Luke got probably 70 or more or those with a 5.5 being his biggest of the day. He managed 4 or so in the 4lb range and a bunch of 3lbers. I had one that was a little over 4lbs but all the others were under 2lbs.

Day 7
Final day of the trip and we threw big baits and tried deeper the majority of the day..... unfortunately it didn't payoff. We got into a few but nothing that was picture worthy.... well except this Tilapia on a swimbait

****ADDED INFO*****

I don't know how but I totally forgot to mention the Tilapia nets!! These nets go out for a week or so at a time and are literally ALL OVER THE PLACE!! Like hundreds of nets ALL OVER!! Not like walleye nets here in Colorado that are handled by the government either... These nets were not much more than gill nets strung all over the place by SOOOO many locals using old water/soda/gatoraid/milk jugs/etc ... Made it a pain in the ass to fish!! We were constantly having to go around them or lift the TM to go over them... and quite a few areas were not fishable at all!! As the week went on there were less and less nets so the fishing was a little easier but if I ever go back I will make sure to determine the Tilapia net schedule so I can work around it!!

With that said we had to use the nets to our advantage as much as possible since we had no choice... and it seems the bass use the nets as structure to push the tilapia up against.. as we caught quite a few really nice fish casting close and parallel to the nets.

Last edited by rvinson; 01-17-2018 at 07:09 AM.
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pretty dissapointed that I didnt get a DD largemouth but it made me feel better when we saw Ish Monroe and Brent Ehrler at the Airport and they hadnt caught anything over 7.

Brent Ehrler - In Blue with arms crossed
Ish Monroe - In Black shirt holding backpack straps
Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

That looks like an awesome time! I am sure you were hoping the 10lb milestone but a week of catching dozens each day including 5+ lbers would make for a great and memorable trip. I also imagine that a fuller camp would have added an extra level of entertainment as nightly get togethers between groups can be fun.

Thanks for sharing, glad it was a fun and safe trip.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

We caught fish on tons of different stuff.. Topwater, Worms, stick baits, swimbaits, jigs, lipless, squarebill, flukes, need rigs, etc.. but the best big fish bait for me was a 3:16 Minnow on a scrounger jig head.. which I had never used prior to this trip.

The fish at El Salto fight so hard!! I had a few times when I thought I had a giant and it was a 2-3 lbr lol.

I also took some pics of some structure and sunsets/rises that you can see at the following link: https://imgur.com/a/VZl79

And a couple random videos: https://imgur.com/a/ZKKf2

Last edited by rvinson; 01-17-2018 at 06:11 AM.
rvinson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2018, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very cool!
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2018, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

You wish there where more guys there to help figure out the bite , not sure how much figuring was needed if two of you are averaging 100 plus fish a day, I think you guys had it figured out
Quit the fun adventure
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2018, 06:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
P I K E

Right on guys!!! Glad you guys did good and had a great trip!
Old 01-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
You wish there where more guys there to help figure out the bite , not sure how much figuring was needed if two of you are averaging 100 plus fish a day, I think you guys had it figured out
Quit the fun adventure
Yeah Yeah lol... I guess I should have been more specific... the BIG fish bite

I know the above fish are all nice fish and I should be and am greatful... But for all the $$$$ I spent I was really really hopeful for a DD largemouth bass.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in