River smallies - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default River smallies

The closest river to me has gotten down to fishable levels. The heavily abused Merrimack River. Which had a history of mills and logdrives. You could walk bank to bank on the colorfully dyed river back in the day. Now it has a healthy smallmouth population and I even caught my first andomadous fish.. A Herring! Now I can go forth and chop down the mightiest tree in the forest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0FDE6D2B-B70B-48C3-A084-251E84B2A6DA_1526942474374.jpg (121.2 KB, 44 views)
TheRealBugz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

0ne of the things I miss most about the midwest is the river smallies. we could have them here if the biologist would get there head out of there asses,but whats the chances of that ever happening
littlemac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

One of the best smallie rivers I know is the Buffalo in Arkansas. Fished it last May an was the greatest trip I ever had.
Spin Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Liked my trip to southwest Missouri last summer. Kayak fished the Elk River and had my best smallmouth fish experience ever. 6 to 16 inches almost all on a craw colored Ned rig. Got my first rock bass also.
Plan on going back this year and hitting it again in a canoe with a bud.
Loved catching those river smallies. Thanks for the memories.
Muttbike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I currently live in NW Arkansas. In addition to the Buffalo and Elk, if you are in north Arkansas or southern Missouri I would also recommend:

Current River (MO)
Elevenpoint River (MO) - upstream of Greer Spring Branch
Kings River (AR)
North Fork (MO)

These are some prime smallie rivers. Not really hotspotting, because I am sure not many will ever venture to these parts but I assure you it is worth a vacation. The Elevenpoint is my favorite as it offers a diversity of species. Great warm water fishing above Greer Spring and trophy cold water fishing downstream.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I floated the James River quite a few years ago and caught quite a few LMB. Wanted to try the New River for SMB but didn't have the time to fit it into the vacation. Heading back to VA this year in Sept. Might need to give it a go this trip.
ColoGregS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in