Snook - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snook

Went Snook fishing with friends and my wife while in Florida this week. Ended up catching fish pretty much every 3rd cast for 5 hours straight, was a lot of fun. Most fish were probably 3 to 6 pounds, with a couple pushing 10 pounds.

My friend lives in Lakeland, and several people he works with recommended The Mad Snooker. Started fishing at dusk. Capt. Dave made a couple casts to show us how to present the bait and lures, and then we went at it. It was sort of like a cross between top water bass fishing, and stream fishing for trout. The fish were stacked up along points and structure in the tidal flows. They were easy to spook, we had to move spots once because my friend hit a light with his lure, sounded like ringing a bell, and the bite shut off immediately.

Overall I was very happy with Capt. Dave. The boat was clean, he was funny, had plenty of stories, was great at teaching you what to do and explain what you needed to change to catch fish. My wife isn't much more than a worm killer when it comes to fishing, but he had her casting and catching her own fish on lures.

He was saying the bigger fish will start showing up next month. We saw a few shadows that dwarfed the other fish. He was also talking about how most of the Snook in Tampa Bay died off winter of 2010, due to the cold. So the fish are catch and release only until the population comes back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snook - 1.jpg (78.8 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Snook - 2.jpg (81.4 KB, 127 views)
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Cool, thanks for the report, sounds like a great trip. I had a chance to do some Snook (robalo) fishing in Panama recently. What an awesome fish.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's some great success, I've chased Snook for 20 years and that kind of action and average size only happens once in awhile. Wish I was there nice report.
Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I thought Ben didn't fish in Florida!?

Some people just need a high five. In the face. With a chair.
Luke the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

I miss fishing for snook. It'd be pretty awesome shining a light on the piers and seeing them stacked.
Yeah if temps get cold and it frosts out there..... All sorts of fish die off. Peacock bass can't handle any kind of cold too, as I recall. I remember one year when it did that and the next day the backbays were choked with belly up fish... At least it wasn't red tide, haha.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Damn, that's badass.
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in