Maiden Voyages (Big Mac, Mendota, & Green Bay) Lots of Pics - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Maiden Voyages (Big Mac, Mendota, & Green Bay) Lots of Pics

A few days ago we got back after visiting my wife's family in Wisconsin, where they moved less than a year ago. It was our first time there & a great opportunity to try out the new boat.

On the way there we stopped at Big Mac to patiently (yet joyfully) break in the 175 Verado and fish for just a couple of hours. We trolled 3 shad cranks & 1 rainbow BBZ at a whopping 8". I certainly didn't expect channel catfish in 30-40 FOW with the lures way above them at 8-15 ft deep, nor did I anticipate cats taking these baits, but that's what we got instead of wipers. 3 of the 4 lines we had out were hit at the same time trolling with planers near the dam. It was mayhem but we managed to get them in. I had just enough nets on board... three :-) The two I caught were 6lbs 11oz (this one took the 8" BBZ) and 2lbs 12oz, while my 5 and 9 yr olds took turns on the 6lb 6oz cat. It was their first cat. We caught it on video. I'll try to post it later after I get some time to edit.

Here they are right before the slaughter. The fish fry was a big hit with the family in Wisconsin.

On our way to WI we stopped at Cabela's. While at the fish tanks, one catfish swam vertical like I had never seen before & then the Big Mac cats made more sense to me.

In the Madison area of WI, I did get away for a couple of mornings to fish 4-5 hours at Mendota. Would have been more but trying to figure out park entrances, hours, ramps, and regs made it challenging in a foreign land.

The 1st morning was decent for numbers with a dozen fish (white bass mostly, with a few smallies, a perch, and a drum). No size to them though as you can see in these pics.

And, here's a good shot of the boat at Mendota. My wife let me get the boat as long as I got her a captain's chair & bimini top.

The next morning I only caught 2 fish but they were better.

11 1/2 lb channel cat which I hoped was a monster walleye. No complaints though!

3 1/2 lb smallie

After a few days of enjoying the in laws & their country home along with my family, I snuck away for a few days of fishing at Sister Bay/Fish Creek (Green Bay/Door County Peninsula).

I arrived in Sister Bay around noon & embarked on a 5hr guided trip-

Each pic is a different fish (all in the 4 1/2lb to 5 1/2lb range).

Shown below... 5 1/2lbs (personal best) maybe 7 if it wasn't spawned out?

another nice one -

Though the big water experience & big fish was incredible, I suffered from some of the most severe back pain of my life, limiting me to 7 hour fishing days the following two days.

Day 2 & 3 (smallies were slightly smaller in the 3lb to 4 1/2lb range & the drum was 5 3/4lbs).

Here's day 2-

Caught a few drum too.

Day 3-

All fish were caught in the rocky flats of these islands or just below rocky ledges. Thanks to the zebra mussels I was able to sight fish about half of the time.

Here's what worked:

Kalin's 5" grubs on 1/4 or 3/16 mushroom jig heads
5" Wacky Senkos
Drop shotting plastic worms and tubes
Lipless cranks
Weedless Shad Huddleston (pictured)

Next time I get to WI, I want to make sure my family visits Sister Bay with me. Beautiful area-

We were going to tube Lake Michigan near Racine but the waves were a bit much for kids as the cold water splashed them, so we trolled for browns. I didn't expect much. We lucked into a couple of little Chinook (aka King) Salmon. Here's one my boy caught.

Clayton enjoying his new seat & my old hat I gave him.

Lighthouse we passed by-

Look what I found in the cooler. My ice tea had a surprise ice koozie-

On our way home we stopped at Big Mac one more time, just for watersports and swimming.

Last edited by fishaholic; 07-17-2013 at 12:29 PM.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cool Report....
I gotta get Me a "captains" chair.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

Great report man... looks like fun. I absolutely loved Door County. I was there for the changing of the leaves and it is still one of my best memories. Those are some PIG smallies for sure. The new boat is a sexy sucka...
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Nice, Chris. Love the new boat. Impressive fish for sure!
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nice ride! Some of those smallies look ancient! great pictures.
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nice pics looks like a cool trip
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nice post. My next boat will either be a Lund or a Ranger.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Well done!
Bionic Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofisher View Post
Nice post. My next boat will either be a Lund or a Ranger.
I put serious thought into Ranger. Fiberglass has a bit more storage length to it though (not sure how but the specs don't lie). Also, I love how the bimini top hides under the rear seats and stays completely out of the way when not in use. You can't go wrong with either brand.
fishaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Chris,

Great report, awesome pictures, congrats on the boat. Even better job with the kiddos. You ought to have a zillion stories the next time I run into in Bass Pro, I better make a dinner reservation at the restaurant! LOL!...thanks for sharing looks awesome. The smallies seem to have so much length. I wanna go to big mac! bwahahahahahahaaa...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in