Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Lake McConaughy

9K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  bobys 
#1 ·
Anyone been yet this year? Conditions? Reports?

From what I can find online it seems it just recently opened up??

http://www.nefga.org/forum/showthread.php?56493-open-water-reports-Lake-McConaughy

03-19-2014, 07:33 PM

"The 50+ winds we had from the northwest on Tuesday opened up the north half of Lake Mac from the dam all the way to Cedar Vue. I would say 50% to 60% of the lake is open. ....................

As far as fishing reports, anglers are having success near Otter Creek for northern pike and channel catfish. Northerns have been caught casting shallow cranks and some casting jigs. I haven't heard of any walleye being caught yet but warmer waters near the northern bays and the face of the dam should start seeing some action soon. "

Me and FistFullaFish want to make a trip out there to hit the dam(from shore) for walleyes... I have never fished Big Mac before either so any tips/hits/ect would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ricky

See less See more
#3 ·
It did just open up, water temps still way behind here. What are you after? If you trying to fish the walleye spawn, have you ever been? You might want to think twice. People literally get into fights there. Crowded, boats troll in same direction single file line. Very close to the bank. You have conversations with most boats that pass by. As one boat passes you make a cast, retrieve, wait to next boat passes and repeat. That dam is 2 miles long and will be full capacity.

#6 ·
Ill be down there the first weekend of may can't wait to put my boat on, your casting space will not be respected if you are on shore at the dam and the walleye bite is on. Mcconaughy is my main lake but theres a reason I don't normally target walleye out there.

And James were they bashing it on fxr or what forum are you speaking of, I haven't seen anything about big mac on fxr

#7 ·
Thanks for the info guys!! i am aware of the combat fishing situation that goes on there every year(Maybe not the sevarity though!!)... My friend luke has been trying to get me to make the trip every spring for quite a few years... It just has never actually happend LOL

We were thinking about hitting it this comming Monday night/Tuesday morning(4/1/14).... think it being a week day will make the combat fishing more tolerable? ? ?

Still looking for recent reports on the condition!! I would prefer not to make the 3.5hr drive each way to get skunked!!

#13 ·
ITT - why I've fished every lake in west Nebraska BUT Big Mac.

**** all that bullshit, for a stupid cat eyed perch that is essentially the women of North American fish. I'd rather chase cats or pike.

#15 ·
Well... No McConaughy for me :( My homie just cancelled on me!

I did get cureent lake conditions(Not a fishing report) that i'll share in case anyone is interested:

"Quick Update: The docks have been put in at Cedar Vue lakeside, Lemoyne lakeside and both Lake Ogallala docks are in. Martin Bay and Diver's Bay should be in early next week. Diver's Bay was still frozen as of this morning. The Martin Bay low water ramp is usable, just no dock yet. The water temperature as of mid-week was 37 degrees."

This is from the Lake McConaughy FB page posted about 15 minutes ago.

#16 ·
Well... No McConaughy for me :( My homie just cancelled on me!

I did get cureent lake conditions(Not a fishing report) that i'll share in case anyone is interested:

"Quick Update: The docks have been put in at Cedar Vue lakeside, Lemoyne lakeside and both Lake Ogallala docks are in. Martin Bay and Diver's Bay should be in early next week. Diver's Bay was still frozen as of this morning. The Martin Bay low water ramp is usable, just no dock yet. The water temperature as of mid-week was 37 degrees."

This is from the Lake McConaughy FB page posted about 15 minutes ago.
Great to here we can dock at cedar vue again!! I absolutely hate docking at the damn or Lemoyne seeing as how I stay on the complete opposite end of the lake, in marina landing. Sucks your friend cancelled maybe you'll get out there a little later this year. I think im going easter weekend. Thanks for the conditions report!

#18 ·
The eyes should be moving between deep and shallow depending on the spawn. Spend a bit of time using your electronics to find the stage of the fish at different times of the day/night... troll slow wobbling cranks a foot or two above them at the given time/depth.

#19 ·
http://www.ilovelakemac.com/the-lake/outdoor-report/

As of 4/9/2014

""Daytime success for boat anglers targeting walleye from the dam to North Shore has been very inconsistent to date. Angler pressure and success for walleye at night along Kingsley Dam has been light to this point as the spawning run is just in the initial stages with the cool water temperature. Boat anglers on the dam face are trolling large crankbaits and bank anglers are casting crankbaits or jigs."

Also maybe some good info for you:

"Anglers fishing the dam should be reminded that from sunset to sunrise, April 1 to 30, any boat within 30 yards of Kingsley Dam must travel in a south-to-north (counter-clockwise) direction. Also, all boats are prohibited within 200 feet of the Kingsley Dam outlet and morning glory structures. "

#23 ·
Here's a report on W.C.
http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331257

I've fished the spawn from shore and boat, with excellent success from the boat. Most of the dam is very, very difficult to fish from shore with the rip rap being made of what looks like WWII landing obstacles on the beach at Normandy. Nice weather and the trollers are bumper to bumper and hugging the shoreline. Silver and black rogues and shallow shad raps have worked best for me when I could get close to shore. ( Think Wind) Otherwise shad raps and frenzy's. To beat most of the boat traffic, try getting out after midnight.

#24 ·
I haven't seen blue mesa during koke time, but I know damn well how many boats they will fit on top of eachother across the shoreline of the dam. It is a battle out there be prepared!! Im going out to lake mac first weekend of may but i'm going to be targeting other species I don't deal with all that walleye nonsense. I don't eat fish usually so no point in me dealing with all those boats to try to catch a walleye

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.