Lake McConaughy - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Lake McConaughy

Anyone been yet this year? Conditions? Reports?

From what I can find online it seems it just recently opened up??

http://www.nefga.org/forum/showthrea...ake-McConaughy

03-19-2014, 07:33 PM

"The 50+ winds we had from the northwest on Tuesday opened up the north half of Lake Mac from the dam all the way to Cedar Vue. I would say 50% to 60% of the lake is open. ....................

As far as fishing reports, anglers are having success near Otter Creek for northern pike and channel catfish. Northerns have been caught casting shallow cranks and some casting jigs. I haven't heard of any walleye being caught yet but warmer waters near the northern bays and the face of the dam should start seeing some action soon. "

Me and FistFullaFish want to make a trip out there to hit the dam(from shore) for walleyes... I have never fished Big Mac before either so any tips/hits/ect would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ricky
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

don't have a report but from years past, the walleye spawn starts right around April 1st. With the cold weather this year and the ice just coming off Mac, the spawn might start a little later than usual

Good luck, I also heard it can be a bit of combat fishing on the dam during the spawn.
milehighfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

It did just open up, water temps still way behind here. What are you after? If you trying to fish the walleye spawn, have you ever been? You might want to think twice. People literally get into fights there. Crowded, boats troll in same direction single file line. Very close to the bank. You have conversations with most boats that pass by. As one boat passes you make a cast, retrieve, wait to next boat passes and repeat. That dam is 2 miles long and will be full capacity.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

^^sounds like heaven!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Especially with them blasting the place on a certain other forum.. They're making it sound like Disneyworld over there...
Old 03-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Ill be down there the first weekend of may can't wait to put my boat on, your casting space will not be respected if you are on shore at the dam and the walleye bite is on. Mcconaughy is my main lake but theres a reason I don't normally target walleye out there.

And James were they bashing it on fxr or what forum are you speaking of, I haven't seen anything about big mac on fxr
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the info guys!! i am aware of the combat fishing situation that goes on there every year(Maybe not the sevarity though!!)... My friend luke has been trying to get me to make the trip every spring for quite a few years... It just has never actually happend LOL

We were thinking about hitting it this comming Monday night/Tuesday morning(4/1/14).... think it being a week day will make the combat fishing more tolerable? ? ?

Still looking for recent reports on the condition!! I would prefer not to make the 3.5hr drive each way to get skunked!!
Old 03-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

There may not be that many people out there yet but there will definitely be some locals out there. The walleye may spawn later due to the lake just unthawing this past week
bobys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Your too early dude, even on a weekday you better go hours ahead of darkness to reserve a spot , otherwise you will be walking a long way. People take walleye serious! Lol.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

As others have said combat fishing but I love that lake big fish oh and if you go don't tell people there your from Colorado
catfishking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in