Colorado - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Colorado

It must have been something special to have fished Colorado back in the day. Back when fishing was far less popular and a puddle could produce some bucknasty fish. Angling pressure meant having too many pike in one area while the lure of choice was anything with a hook. Fishing has grown exponentially over the years. New anglers are now roaming the state looking for your honey hole and hungry to find that piece of water that has been untouched. I reckon in the coming years those honey holes will be far and few between. Not every new angler will pursue the sport full throttle but enough will. Colorado only has so much water and with a growing population it stands to reason your favorite honey hole will one day be overrun. Itís not the quantity of fish that I worry about but the quality of fish that we can expect here in Colorado. It must have been something special to have fished Colorado back in the day?
Colorado.Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think honestly fishing is still the same, the usual lakes still have big fish... Just gotta put in your time.

And anyone can post on this? Rad. I'm gonna start blogging here.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dave, just read this soon after I posted this blog....

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...log-forum.html

My bad pikester. Next time I'll get it approved first
Colorado.Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

You're right! YOU should stop fishing to save the honey holes!!!!
ducky540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Next generation will be saying the same thing about what's going on now. People aren't leaving Colorado nor are we growing more waters.
boondock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you can get far enough off the beaten path you will still find the honey holes. Honestly, I think people don't want to stray too far from cel service nowadays, which is fine by me...I have respect for those others that want to get out away from technology....as i type this from my laptop!!!

~Travis (720)317-9805~
Dr. Joe Siphek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 04:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ive heard lots of stories first hand and It was something special. No doubt the average size fish has gone way down. More so than Population and more fisherman, the reservoirs had a huge impact on fishing. Most of them were built at the same time beginning in the early 60's, the reservoirs have thwarted many of the prolific bug hatches and changed natural water temps and flows for ever.
One of the best examples is the the stone fly hatch on the upper gunnison under Blue mesa. The gunni was known as one of the top trout fishing rivers in the world. My grampa told me stories how they would drive down the road and stick a net out the window and collect the big "willow flies". He said the average trout was 18" and they would catch 10 pounders on every trip.
I remember my grandpa telling me after we got turned down a couple times asking for private property access, that back in the day property owners almost always said yes.

In south park, where my great uncle Sam Dodero was the forman of the Hartsel ranch from the 50's through early 80's, before spinney, and Antero there used to be so many rainbows that when they would flood irrigate, the bows would run up in shallow water and those bows ran 18 to 20 on average. I seen pictures that my grampa had when i was a kid, ive been trying to find those pics for a long time i know my mom has them somewhere.
Fordo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 06:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
P I K E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado.Mackinaw View Post
Dave, just read this soon after I posted this blog....

https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...log-forum.html

My bad pikester. Next time I'll get it approved first
That's OK CM, great subject! I started this section in part just for this, giving you younger anglers like yourself and Whomp that want to cut your teeth at blogging get the experience like Eric Allee, Tiny and Mitch have mastered. Also wanted to give the experienced bloggers a place to post them up so we can all enjoy them. I just want to see the articles from the new bloggers so we don't end up with a bunch of Penthouse forum type articles! Again great subject and hope some more old geezers chime in, I will in a bit!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

These are the good old days.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bionic Man is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2016, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

it would be neat to go back in time before the mackinaw death fleets or war on pike began. or even to just go fly fishing down town Denver for 6 to 15 pound browns... now i save my money up for out of state trips. i might be like my buddy i go with and skip getting a license for Colorado this season...

How to catch and release trophy fish: https://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...fish-must.html
lvrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in