The friend from outta state. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The friend from outta state.

Due to my rough-around-the-edges attitude, I tend to enjoy fishing alone most times. But sometimes people who are absorbed with the novelty of wanting to go fishing tend to hit me up. Usually it's people from work or fellow attendees of hardcore punk shows. My rule has always been that anyone is welcome to join, as long as you chip in on gas or buy me beer.

4 years ago in late October, I took 2 of my buddies that participated in the Denver hardcore scene to go fishing with me. While at a terror show a week before, Both of them have boasted to me about how they fished and were awesome anglers in their home states (California and Massachusetts)... So I talked to them about how In a lot of Colorado lakes, we have a species of fish called lake trout, and how they become very easy to catch from Rocky shorelines due to them spawning. We hammered out plans and that next Sunday morning, we were grand county bound.

We got to the frosty lake shore of rainbow bay at 6 am, and started throwing tubes. I showed my MA friend how to retrieve the tube by reeling in the slack and bouncing it off the rocks as soon as it hit bottom to avoid most snags. My CA friend paid attention... And within minutes, hooked up with one of many lake trout.

I soon caught my 4, but my MA friend was having trouble. He got frustrated and removed his lure for one of his bass lures... Which predictably enough just caught him snags. I explained to him that lake granby did not have any bass, and the lake trout will be more stoked on tubes, spoons and Jerkbaits. He said in his Boston accent, "yeah? This is how I caught trout here in my f<expletive> pond back home in Haverhill. " So I chuckled and watched him lose lures on the dike.

After a while, he tied on a krocodile and retrieved it steadily.. And broke his skunk on a few of the smaller ones that were more aggressive. We finished fishing and went to the canal where I explained to my friends the deal with the canal, and how the fish feed heavily when it's pumping. I showed them both how to rig a slip bobber, with waxworm.. And eyed a school of 4 year old salmon in the current. For my MA friend... I set up a nightcrawler with a heavy weight, explaining to him fish will be below the school eating roe.

My CA friend and I both caught fish immediately... My CA friend even had one on that took him for a ride, but spit the hook. Mr. MA, However didn't get any action right away... So he reeled in, and cut his rig off to exchange it for a huge bass spinnerbait with 2 willow blades. He cast it in the current repeatedly... Crossing a person's line or 2.

I began to notice his frustration... And finally lamented on his growing aggravation of not getting bored. I said "dude, why'd you change rigs? Everyone here is using the same thing as me... And they are getting results. ". He quickly snapped "yeah? Well here's the deal bro. I like to fish my <expletive> way. This is how I fish at home, and I'm confident in my abilities to catch fish... So let me do it my <expletive> way. ".. I smiled big and said "ok, man..." And watched him scare fish, until he inevitably lost that ridiculous looking spinnerbait in the rocks in the canal.

After that, he said "dude I'm ready to go home. These fish aren't biting. Colorado sucks for fishing." We left soon after and went home... With full stringers for my California friend and I.

I used to clown on my MA friend about it and only took him fishing a few more times. He was a total complainer so I decided to give up with him. It worked out well because I found out he was screwing my now ex wife for a year and some change until she left me.

The point to this story, though..., is that if you're a fisherman from any other state aside from here.... If you want to get better, you have to unlearn how to fish.. And re-learn again in most cases. Pay attention to advice people who are more knowledgeable give you, and don't get discouraged. Patience and persistence pays off... Abd the more you're on the water, the more you will learn. That and if you use expensive bass baits in grand county fisheries, you're either dumb or a homewrecking POS.

#thorntonscumbags

Last edited by Dave M; 03-21-2016 at 11:06 PM.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

That's a brutal story.
Pokemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good read Dave!

I too enjoy listening to Terror.
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I do reckon it would be pretty hard reasoning with a guy found at a punk show If your looking for a friend I suggest sending slayer a pm...... the man is fishing. And Dave, here in Colorado..... the only friend we seek are those bucknasty fish already waiting for us out at the old pond.
Colorado.Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado.Mackinaw View Post
I do reckon it would be pretty hard reasoning with a guy found at a punk show If your looking for a friend I suggest sending slayer a pm...... the man is fishing. And Dave, here in Colorado..... the only friend we seek are those bucknasty fish already waiting for us out at the old pond.
Half my friends are punks, skins and HC kids, dude.

You'll find a few rotten apples in every barrel.

#thorntonscumbags
Old 03-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Half my friends are punks, skins and HC kids, dude.

You'll find a few rotten apples in every barrel.
Lol, just gotta throw out the bad ones I suppose. You've written quite the article dave and think fishing with a friend has its pros and cons. I think the best fishing buddy would have to be a dog..... they don't question a move up river and you can train them to kill fish. Keep blogging man, enjoy hearing what others have to say and recognize it takes a bit of work to put something like this together. Tightlines man!
Colorado.Mackinaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Them "easterners" always are smarter than Us West of the Mississippi....
Some Men You just can't reach.....
Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Best part is the part about " So let me do it my @%#*ing way" lol.

That must be one helluva crew if you're the best fisherman.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip.
John Gierach
dieseldoctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdb View Post
Good read Dave!

I too enjoy listening to Terror.
Scott Vogel is a demigod. Although I enjoy his previous band "buried alive" more...

#thorntonscumbags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in