So I was granted permission by the banker (wife) to put a few bucks into one of the dinky kayaks we have collecting dust in our basement. I used to run around in the bay flats of south Texas in a WS Tarpon 160i, but I sold it several years ago to help with wedding costs. Ive always loved being able to load up, put in, paddle/fish all day, and go in pretty much ANY depth of water I needed to, but I no longer have that ability..... for now
I will try and post photos and progress updates over the next few weeks as I have time to tinker with it down in the basement. The majority of my parts will come from *insert big-box store name here* as well as ebay. Some things will also be modified items that I already have sitting around the house. My wife said that I can put as much into it now, as I paid for it initially, so that gives me a tight(ish) budget to get this thing rigged out to get the job done.
Baseline - 8ft sit inside river kayak from 'outdoor store' that I picked up on sale for $100 a few Christmas' ago... Pelican Pursuit 80X... Its bare bones for now other than some mediocre bungee cord across the top of the stern.
--- First, I needed some sort of main storage area/compartment due to the complete lack there of. I didn't want anything blocking what little foot room I have to begin with so I knew I needed to put storage behind me. Of course, I went back to my roots and knew that rigging out a milk crate would be the best way to go, however MY KAYAK IS TOO SMALL TO FIT A MILK CRATE!
Plan B was a handy little 5gal bucket. I went and picked one up, as well as a sweet little lid with some additional sweet little storage compartments built into it.
I found my center line and eyeballed how far back I wanted to have the bucket sit. Ideally, I would want it as close to me as possible to allow room for future modifications at the end of the stern like handles and/or a tracking skeg. After putting a screw into what I felt was absolute center, I tied a loose fitting knot around it and then a marker 6in out on the other end.... I got my 6in figure from the diameter of the bucket sitting at what I felt was the best depth into the kayak hull, and then adding a half inch (you'll see why in the next update). After drawing a circle, checking measurements and placement, I pulled out the dremel and started cutting.
Stay tuned boys and girls!