simplicity. - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2017, 10:38 PM  

Default simplicity.

on a miserable day of fishing last year with my girlfriend... I was fishing a longmont impoundment that supposedly had a cache of walleyes. i walked along the Dam face... and threw a tackle box's worth of lures all along the rocks... losing some and pretty much giving my beautiful lures a good bathing. frustrated, I texted fellow local playboy fisherman Eric allee on what I should use for this lake..... an hour after I left, he answered with "dude, dropshot a gulp minnow." I unfortunately did not have the gear, and honestly... didn't know what the f*ck a "dropshot" was. I went home and laid naked in my bed, looking at my phone screen... and researched what it meant.. and how to use the technique.

I went to a local tackle store, and purchased some weights and hooks one would use for dropshotting... and tried the technique out at a few local bass spots, with gulp minnows to start off with. after trial and error, losing rigs on trees and weeds... i finally connected with a few bass. it was weird to get them to take but as i figured out with practice... it became fun. I soon tried this technique at other places for different fish... such as tiger trout and brook trout. they would hit this technique as aggresively as a bass would under right conditions. So I bought 2 dropshot rods I use strictly for this soon after.

over the months, I would use this technique at many regional lakes... and it would turn out to be the golden ticket for me to figure out how to catch my nemesis fish consistently, the Walleye. its a perfect technique to use near deep rocky dropoffs. its simple... and deadly if you know when and where to do it.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 05:36 AM  
P I K E

yep, you could even use a double dropshot rig using a Standout Hook up about 13-15 inches up from your bottom hook. Double the pleasure!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blake...sNfg&gclsrc=ds

if only you knew where to get a free handful of those babies!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:05 AM  

Good post, could ave done w/o the nek'd in bed part, but good post none the less.
pistoldog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoldog View Post
Good post, could ave done w/o the nek'd in bed part
Pics or it didn't happen. JK, please don't...
Good intel, I need to drop shot more.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:59 AM  

Pretty hard NOT to catch walleyes using ANY technique right now. Just saying-
slayerfish is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in