Peacock Bass Fishing - Miami, FL - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Peacock Bass Fishing - Miami, FL

The Peacock Bass has been on my fishing bucket list since I first saw a picture of one when I was in elementary school. I don't think I'll make it to the Amazon anytime soon so when our Florida vacation was booked I made it a point to get to SE Florida and chase these beautiful specimens! For our adventure we went out near Miami, FL with local guide Captain Scott Rose. He shared a lot of information about this unique fishery and put us on both numbers and quality fish. Our Biggest 5 weighed in at 20.5lbs! This trip was something I won't soon forget.

Last edited by MNBassFisher; 02-23-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added Video Link
MNBassFisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Peacock Bass is also on my bucket list... But I wanna go where you can catch one that is 20.5lbs+!! Not saying if I was in Florida and had the opportunity I would pass it up!! Hell no!! lol But those arent "real" peacock bass IMO

Unfortunately I am unable to watch Youtube videos at work so I'll have to wait until I get home.... Did you get any on top water?
Old 02-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvinson View Post
Peacock Bass is also on my bucket list... But I wanna go where you can catch one that is 20.5lbs+!! Not saying if I was in Florida and had the opportunity I would pass it up!! Hell no!! lol But those arent "real" peacock bass IMO

Unfortunately I am unable to watch Youtube videos at work so I'll have to wait until I get home.... Did you get any on top water?
The FL fishery is definitely nothing like the Amazon and the fish are only a fraction of the size - that's for sure! I'd love to get down to the Amazon sometime in my life and catch a 10lb+ on a Topwater plug!

However, they were a lot of fun to chase in FL. They fight quite a bit harder than the Green and Brown bass I'm used to catching! What surprised me about the fishery in SE Florida is that it is mostly live bait (Shiners). There is so much bait for them in those channels that the Peacock's won't chase for long. I guess they can be caught on the fly but your casts needs to be very accurate and your hookset quick because they spit the flies fast. Our guide said artificials could be done but you're going to spend all day to maybe catch a few fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2018, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nice video Mitch. Cool fish for sure!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
P I K E

Great vid Mitch once again! THX! Peacock bass would be a great trip and on the bucket list here too. I've had a couple of those Midas cichlids in a tank before, very cool fish!
Old 02-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Did the population of em take a hit this winter? South Florida had a few weeks of below 50 degree weather.

#thorntonscumbags
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice, thanks for sharing. My bucket list too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Cool. I would have knocked it off my bucket list too.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Man that looked like some fun!

S. Sadil
CF LURKER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TthePikester View Post
Great vid Mitch once again! THX! Peacock bass would be a great trip and on the bucket list here too. I've had a couple of those Midas cichlids in a tank before, very cool fish!
That's how they got into that ecosystem - the homes that butt up to the water would release the fish from their Aquarium once they got too big then with minimal predators around the populations took off! That's why the Peacock's were introduced there I guess to keep all the other fish pop's in check.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in