Wiper Summit 2016 - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wiper Summit 2016

It took us a year of persistent advocacy but Wiper addicts finally got a seat at the table. We have no budget or lawyers so we must make this one count!! We will hold our Wiper summit with the CPW on February 11th at the CPW offices on 6060 Broadway. They will provide biologists from all the front range and eastern regions.

This is a chance for every warm water angler to be heard and have their questions answered by those who manage our fisheries. Greg and I have tried our best to prove that we are not some fringe group and while we will never be TU there are a lot of us and we shouldn't have to drive to Nebraska or Kansas!! So if you really care about warm water fishing in CO please help us out and come join us from 6:30 to 8:30 on the 11th.

Last year was a good stocking year in Colorado for wipers and we just got the numbers for 2016 that we will go over at the summit. We can also talk about walleye, crappie, etc. and anything else warm water related.
Neal/CO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here is a link to the address on Google Maps

https://goo.gl/maps/g4axCL3Q1pJ2
dallasdb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Neal, great work. This will be a great opportunity for the CPW to hear concerns about the wiper fishing in CO. I don't frequently fish wipers, but I'm always happy to help if I can. And who says we don't have lawyers
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Pretty cool, Neal. What are the wiper addicts club's goals?
tangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangler View Post
Pretty cool, Neal. What are the wiper addicts club's goals?
To at least maintain or increase the stocking levels we enjoyed last year. Example= North sterling got 50,000 fingerlings and 500,000 fry, as did Jackson. John Martin got 1,000,000. There is space available at the Pueblo hatchery to raise fingerlings for Pueblo and John Martin. But there is a thought that wipers don't warrant the investment in time or space. To give you an idea how it works now. Pueblo has received about 1.2 million fry in the last two years and are only scheduled to get 400,000 in 2016. Only 1-2 % of fry survive unfortunately. Because of the importance of Pueblo as a brood stock lake for walleye, Pueblo will never go back to the historic levels of stocking it once enjoyed!

We also want the Arkansas drainage limit to be changed from 20 frickin fish per day to separate limits for both white bass and wipers.

To expand the Sunshine bass program!!! This is where they cross white bass eggs with striper milt. Striper eggs are so delicate that we cannot so far raise our own wipers, thus we are dependent on out of state sources for our wiper fry Two Buttes is now on its way to becoming a viable Sunshine bass fishery! I also suggested using Chatfield as a test fishery as well.

If we can keep water in the newly filled Henry, Meredith and John Martin reservoirs we would like to bring those lakes back to the wiper fisheries they once were??
Old 01-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Neal, great work. This will be a great opportunity for the CPW to hear concerns about the wiper fishing in CO. I don't frequently fish wipers, but I'm always happy to help if I can. And who says we don't have lawyers
So you are a blood sucking lawyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal/CO View Post
We also want the Arkansas drainage limit to be changed from 20 frickin fish per day to separate limits for both white bass and wipers.
It would be nice to reduce the limit statewide.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

A lot of this depends on water? It seems we may be entering a wet period for a few years? If so we should have good wiper fishing along the S. Platte drainage. The Northern Biologist is pretty aggressive!! Jackson, Prewitt and North Sterling could bounce back quickly!!

I would like to see the limit dropped to one or two state wide. That way if you accidently kill one you can still take it home!
Old 01-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal/CO View Post
A lot of this depends on water? It seems we may be entering a wet period for a few years? If so we should have good wiper fishing along the S. Platte drainage. The Northern Biologist is pretty aggressive!! Jackson, Prewitt and North Sterling could bounce back quickly!!

I would like to see the limit dropped to one or two state wide. That way if you accidently kill one you can still take it home!
Two would be great, but I'd be fine with one too. When they are stocked and the water level is good, a moderate harvest is not a problem. Can't remember the last time I kept a Colorado wiper anyway (they taste like ass within a two hour radius of Denver, as Zman would say). I think the last time I went for wipers in Colorado was at Jackson three years ago. I don't like wasting my time when I fish and that drive to Nebraska and Kansas is worthwhile for me. I'd chase them more in Colorado if my chances of catching wipers went back to how it was in the old days.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Great work Neal, thanks for the effort.
pistoldog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aofisher View Post
Two would be great, but I'd be fine with one too. When they are stocked and the water level is good, a moderate harvest is not a problem. Can't remember the last time I kept a Colorado wiper anyway (they taste like ass within a two hour radius of Denver, as Zman would say). I think the last time I went for wipers in Colorado was at Jackson three years ago. I don't like wasting my time when I fish and that drive to Nebraska and Kansas is worthwhile for me. I'd chase them more in Colorado if my chances of catching wipers went back to how it was in the old days.
Totally agree. I have and will hit the road to Big Mac, etc. every week if I have too! But it would be nice for everyone to be able to fish close to home if they don't have the time to head east!!

I would like to shock the biologists and have several hundred anglers show up and talk warm water fishing!!! I have over 300 members now on Wiper Addicts Facebook page and we just bought the domain name to build our website. But I am a realist as to what we really can expect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in