Night Fishing at the Aurora Reservoir - Colorado Fishing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Night Fishing at the Aurora Reservoir

Good morning everybody,

The City of Aurora is proud to host its annual Night Fishing event next Saturday, June 22nd from 9:00pm - 6:00 am at the Aurora Reservoir. Registration is only $30 and includes dinner from Jim N' Nick's BBQ from 6-8 pm. Don't miss this unique opportunity to fish after hours and catch the big ones that Aurora Reservoir has to offer.

To register just visit us click https://www.auroragov.org/ThingsToDo...oirs/index.htm or you can stop by the Aurora Reservoir park office. If you are not sure you can make it or are trying to get a group together, no worries we do have day-of registration available too. For any questions or even to register over the phone give us a call at 303.690.1286 x6.

I hope to see you out there!

Tim Erickson
Events & Park Ranger
[email protected]
Terickson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

No need to bother registering for the event.. It has been canceled!
Recieved an email from Mr. Erickson that said....

Good afternoon,
Unfortunately, due to low registration for the Night Fishing event next weekend we have decided to cancel the event for the foreseeable future. Thank you for your time and consideration and if you have any questions please donít hesitate to contact me.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Pretty dumb that they cancelled this, IMO. I mean there is still a week to go. What did they expect, a bunch of people to instantly sign up? A lot of people just pay when they get there.

If they want people to sign up early, they should make a time limit on the sign up, and not even do the pay at the lake. Personally, I think plenty of people would have shown up.

I wonder why Crystal isn't running that again. Seemed to work fine when she was in charge...
mrwigglestheworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Crystal moved up in the city.. now she does special events citywide as I understand it.
Personally, I think they should have gotten rid of the food and crap, and kept the focus on the fishing. Then the numbers and price wouldn't have to have been such an issue. I mean, hell, I can make and bring sandwiches myself to eat in the boat. The allure wasn't the food, it was the chance to fish the res at night!

Be forewarned... the powers that be at the city of Aurora are looking for every reason possible to cancel the fishing events! Ever since the Parks dept combined with the Open Spaces and Rec department, the reservoir and it's events have sucked "hind tit" with the new department.

IMO The city of Aurora doesn't give 2 shits about us anglers, even though having a world class fishery was one of the points that they used to "sell" the reservoir to the populous 20 years or so ago to fund construction.

Look at the mess that they call the ans inspection and boat ramps there?
I am truly surprised that no one has gotten hurt, and no kids run over! Who in their right minds puts a boat ramp between the parking lot and the swim beach where all the families and kids cross it to get to the swim beach And.. why would you put the boat ramp right out there with no break waters or wind breaks to help the boaters in the seemeingly endless crosswinds that occur out there on the plains? And... who would put the dinky boat ramp dock 50 friggin yards away from the ramp, to where you have to launch the boat, then leave your vehicle on the ramp, so you can lead your boat over to the dock! Nothing like causing a little traffic jam there!

But.. I digress.... mark my words.... they bitched and complained about the numbers for the trout tourney, now they've canceled the night fishing event a week and a half early, next out will be the fall fishing classic!

Don't get me wrong... I love the reservoir and the rangers out there, but, as far as I'm concerned the City of Aurora can Kiss My Ass!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballjohn66 View Post
Crystal moved up in the city.. now she does special events citywide as I understand it.
Personally, I think they should have gotten rid of the food and crap, and kept the focus on the fishing. Then the numbers and price wouldn't have to have been such an issue. I mean, hell, I can make and bring sandwiches myself to eat in the boat. The allure wasn't the food, it was the chance to fish the res at night!

Be forewarned... the powers that be at the city of Aurora are looking for every reason possible to cancel the fishing events! Ever since the Parks dept combined with the Open Spaces and Rec department, the reservoir and it's events have sucked "hind tit" with the new department.

IMO The city of Aurora doesn't give 2 shits about us anglers, even though having a world class fishery was one of the points that they used to "sell" the reservoir to the populous 20 years or so ago to fund construction.

Look at the mess that they call the ans inspection and boat ramps there?
I am truly surprised that no one has gotten hurt, and no kids run over! Who in their right minds puts a boat ramp between the parking lot and the swim beach where all the families and kids cross it to get to the swim beach And.. why would you put the boat ramp right out there with no break waters or wind breaks to help the boaters in the seemeingly endless crosswinds that occur out there on the plains? And... who would put the dinky boat ramp dock 50 friggin yards away from the ramp, to where you have to launch the boat, then leave your vehicle on the ramp, so you can lead your boat over to the dock! Nothing like causing a little traffic jam there!

But.. I digress.... mark my words.... they bitched and complained about the numbers for the trout tourney, now they've canceled the night fishing event a week and a half early, next out will be the fall fishing classic!

Don't get me wrong... I love the reservoir and the rangers out there, but, as far as I'm concerned the City of Aurora can Kiss My Ass!
Damn, Big John...how you really feel? LOL

Seriously though, I agree with a few of your points, but I don't think they don't care about the fishermen, and even if they don't, it's their prerogative. Fishing is not high on the list of things to be concerned with here in the desert west. Water is still our liquid gold, so as long as we're dry, it will continue to be that way.

Now, regarding the night fishing event itself, I totally agree about the food part of it. That should have been an option to begin with. Famous Dave's is ass, I WOULD NOT feed that shit to my dog. I too would have been fine with just the entry fee. I've written Crystal, and now this Tim dude about the cost of the event.

They'd get more participation from season pass holders if they offered them (us) a discount. I also mentioned to Tim that they pulled the plug too soon. With no clear deadline (besides the obvious, day of) people were just waiting to sign up or pay there.

I think the boat inspection location is just a temporary thing. They're almost done (could be done now, actually...I haven't been out there in quite a bit) building the inspection hut right at the entry way to the boat ramp. I'm not sure it will help much, but I like it better than at the gate and in the parking lot by the sailboard beach.

Anyway, at this point, we're merely crying over spilled milk. I guess if the city of aurora doesn't want our money, surrounding states will happily take it...

By the way, been a lil bit since I've seen ya in the store. How ya been?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for responding Kenny ! I appreciate and understand everything you have said. I am frustrated. Extremely frustrated. Last year Crystal asked my help a few weeks to a month in advance to help promote the events and also to help insure that these events would continue. I did a lot on my end that she was not allowed to do by the city. I wrote and posted Blogs, appeared on 2 separate radio shows several times, put up flyers from the city as well as printing up my own, and posted several times on social media as well as every fishing forum I could!
This year.. I get asked for help less than a week before the final numbers due date of the trout tourney, and then not even asked at all for the night event.
In these times of limited resources, why they would not utilize every resource available seems outrageous to me.
I also agree with what you have said about the permanent ans inspection site. It makes much more sense there than in any previous locales.
I must though still say that the whole ramp and dock issue is still ludicrous!
It is ridiculous to me that they would have a ramp without a dock very close by, especially since it is an electric only lake! To build such a ramp with no wind breaks, or wave breaks is asking for trouble.
Atown is definitely a very high class fishery with a lot of huge fish, and is a pleasure to fish without the speedboat traffic. But how much better would it be with just these few improvements? IMO.. much!

They should have absolutely canceled the food part of the event once they saw the fiscal issues last season, and with the input from you, me, and several other anglers. Why they didn't is a mystery to me.

I don't honestly think we will see this opportunity come back for many many years now. For that I am sad.

When are you working this weekend Kenny? I will try to stop in, I enjoy chatting with you... your a legend in my book!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Kenny... the really ridiculous thing is look at Ranger Tims original post on the top of the page... he says in there that if you can't make it for early registration or are putting group together, don't worry because you can register at the event!
Then... less than 6 hrs later, they cancel the event!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballjohn66 View Post
Kenny... the really ridiculous thing is look at Ranger Tims original post on the top of the page... he says in there that if you can't make it for early registration or are putting group together, don't worry because you can register at the event!
Then... less than 6 hrs later, they cancel the event!
Yep! I pointed that out to him! As I said, with no clear deadline, and the fact that you could "register" at the lake, day of, why would there be a flood of participants signing up online? Duh!

I'll be in tomorrow, 5:30 to close.

No legend here, just a dude that likes to fish, like the rest of us on here!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
QFT

VERY disappointing!!
QFT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Damn I'm glad I'm in Alaska. I feel pity for you guys for having to deal with that nonsense.
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Colorado Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in