Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I FINALLY go tout and tried for some eyes this weekend!! :)

Had spent a nice hand full of $ $ $ last year with the intent of catching some eyes at night... But had not really made it out for a serious trip :-\

Just other species getting in the way.. and the fact that i normally go to bed around 8:30-9 :-[ LOL

Anyway.. me and FistFullaFish decided to head out on Friday(4/15) night and give it some good effort!! I had a plan in place to hit 3-4 bodies of water.. if needed... but we only ended up going to 2 diff. spots.

1st spot we showed up around 9:30... Fished for 30 minutes and then headed out.. didn't get ANY bites or anything..but we were pretty lucky to get out of there right at 10.. as a cop came cruising by and the place closes at 10! Close call :) LOL

Got to the next spot around 10:20.. it's very close to the 1st spot! :) We were hitting the dam/riprap area HARD.. Nothing :( kept trying and trying and moving down the dam.. and trying and moving and trying and moving :) I basically kept the same baits on my 2 rods the whole night.

and

(Different Flavor but same lure)
[img]

kept switching rods hoping for some action.

So finally about 11:00 i was working a spot that "felt" promising(To me anyway).. What i mean by that is i could feel my rogue bouncing off the bottom and hitting off rocks.. but not getting to much plant matter stuck to the hooks!! Submerged rocks always sound promising to me :) And if I can get my lure through without getting all mucked up.. I feel i have a good chance of getting bit!!

So yeah.. around 11:00 i was throwing the rogue.. reeling at a slightly up beat pace... Not super fast but a little faster than just a steady retrieve. Bouncing it off rocks in water that was prob. 2-3' deep :-\ Running basically parallel to the shore...Not stopping for ANY pauses(Though I had tried all sorts of retrieves throughout the night) when... BAM!! About 15' from me I get hit.. HARD!! And the fight was on!! I wasnt expecting it to put up as good of a fight as it did(Because of rumors i heard about walleye) but it was fun!! Didnt pull drag or anything like that.. but def. put a descent bend in my rod!!

I know i know.. not big by ANY standards.. lol Ok well it's descent by MY standards :) Actually it's currently my Personal Best Eye :-\ So i was pretty psyched... Ran down to where FFF was and had him snap a picture of me holding it:

"Picture to be posted right here if he ever sends it to me :) "

then i took a pic of it on the tape:

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/206463_1793973542524_1635256628_1708119_1411748_n.jpg

Then i released it:

Then we fished for another hour at the same place.. NOTHING :( I was hoping i had found a spot.. but seems more a coincidence :( LOL So we called it a night around midnight and went home.

I hadn't posted a report in a while... mostly because of lack of fishing/catching... So figured i had better contribute something ;) I know it's nothing compared to most of the eyes tat get posted on here.. but to me it was a GREAT fish!! And i am honored to have tricked him into biting :)

Thanks for reading, Ricky

·
Registered
958 Posts
Nice report. The good thing about that personal best is you know it won't be too long before another personal best. Sounds like a fun time.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the comments guys!! I was just glad to catch a fish on a jerkbait!! Def. going to help my confidence in using them BIG time!! :)

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Excellent post. If I ever make it past 9:15 I might try a couple of places as well. I definitely am not a late night person. The biggest thing I gained from your post, is you, like alot of us, are sick of slimers. Takes alot of work to catch alternatives...lakers, eye's, bass (I myself am not a basser by any means), pike, CATFISH...I so need to catch one of them. Good job you n Luke! Nice Ricky!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jbrowning said:
Congrats Ricky. Hell ain't nothing wrong with that eye.

Jim
Thanks Jim!! i agree.. it was a nice eye by my standards :) LOL

IFSHDOU2? said:
Great Walleye! Guess I'm gonna have to get my old, blind, lazy carcass out there in the dark.....
LOL... It def. takes some motivation to get out at night and put in some work... Was other people reports that got me going!!

colonative said:
Excellent post. If I ever make it past 9:15 I might try a couple of places as well. I definitely am not a late night person. The biggest thing I gained from your post, is you, like alot of us, are sick of slimers. Takes alot of work to catch alternatives...lakers, eye's, bass (I myself am not a basser by any means), pike, CATFISH...I so need to catch one of them. Good job you n Luke! Nice Ricky!
LOL you sound like me!! I had to force myself to go out.. But GLAD I DID!! I got tired of trout a year or so ago.. been focusing on Bass as of late... But will fish for anything :)
James said:
I know it's nothing compared to most of the eyes tat get posted on here..
Better than any of mine :-[

Congrats on the pb, and nice to see a report from you :)
Thanks James!! It was about time I posted a report!! Def. had been to long!!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Neal/CO said:
Nice pics! It is one more Eye than I have caught on two different Vampire shifts this week :mad:
Well keep at it!! You'll stick a pig soon!! I consider my outing pure luck LOL

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I totally forgot about this picture i took with my phone.. Was fishing in the dark and kept having to pull small bits of moss off my hook.. well it was light enough for me to tell whatever was on my lure was not moss... So i turned on my light and look what i had caught:

Seemed weird to me.. I looked in the water near shore and there werent any eggs :/

Anyone have any idea what type of eggs these are? They were stuck together in almost a string type fashion... My guess is some kind of frog eggs? but for all i know they may be eye eggs ? LOL

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Nice job on the eye and nice report :). I got my car tagged as an abandoned vehicle when I was fishing the other night.. ::)they give you 72 hours to move it, but really I was only parked at the stop for an hour or so when it happened. He was spot lighting it, then drove off. Then drove right back flying down the road like he was real pissed, lights on, and tagged the car...pretty lame, no day use only sings or anything where I was at.. :p I watched the whole thing from a riprap a few hunderd yards away...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts