Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to go over to Chatty for a few hours, having the afternoon off. Surprise number one.. Chatty closed! Anyone know what was up with that?

So I headed over to the Platte River Ponds. Washed my crankbaits and my purple worm for a while with no bites.

So I decided to go over to the river right there at C-470 below the artificial chute. Tied on a rainbow Panther Martin, and on first cast, fish on. Surprise number 2.. This felt like more of a fighter than your average stocker. Got it ashore and found..

This guy had obviously recently washed through the dam. He had a nasty gouge on one shoulder, and looked kind of beat up. However, once I finished the PantherMartinectomy and got my picture, he swam off real strong.

JW

·
Registered
958 Posts
sweet!

Yeah, I'd like to know why they closed. I left around 12:30pm & the wind was fierce but only getting worse. I can't imagine them closing the park over that though, unless someone's boat capsized or something like that.

Earlier this week I was there around 7:30 as they were ticketing someone for launching without a seal.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's my first ever Walleye (smaller than it looks.. about 14-15", I didn't take time to measure it).

JW

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nice surprise, indeed! I've only had luck with some bows and browns in that stretch, oh and one carp, but you've gotta figure there are some walleye, smallies and other fish in the area that either wash through the chute or come out of the connected pond. Fun stuff, and nice catch.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does that pond connect? I don't see a culvert or anything..

And anyone know what was going on at the park yesterday?

JW

·
Registered
958 Posts
JW said:
That's my first ever Walleye (smaller than it looks.. about 14-15", I didn't take time to measure it).

JW
And, it's likely to be the only one you'll ever catch on a Panter Martin. Congrats on your first! Firsts are always fun.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Usually when they let water out of Chatty alot of Walleye get into the platte. Now you have it. Good luck catching them. This guy got lucky. Nice report.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL. That stretch is no secret. Unless flows are up it is kind of stinky, and usually the best you can catch are stockers or carp.

JW

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
That stretch has been talked about ALOT on this board, don't get too worked up! It seems to me you may even have some walleye procreation in that there stream.

·
Registered
721 Posts
JW said:
How does that pond connect? I don't see a culvert or anything..

JW
The pond that is connected to the river is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile downstream of where you were.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
fowlnfish said:
Weezy said:
Nice work but...

That stretch is going to get HAMMERED now! :-\
Yep, one stray walleye should have the masses converging. ::)
It's a well known spot - but an easy accessible walleye spot will generally draw some attention

The spillway got blasted back in the day in the same way

(Not that this spot yields that many walleye, but the lurkers see pics and run)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Seriously folks it's the urban platte...if you covet that water you need to broaden yourself a bit. No a lot. Clear Creek around Sheridan is hot too....woooohoooo

Nice Eye ;D

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
FISHAH0LIC said:
JW said:

JW
And, it's likely to be the only one you'll ever catch on a Panter Martin. Congrats on your first! Firsts are always fun.
I went out on the closest lake to me quite a few nights, tossing jerkbaits, taildancers, and twisterstails. Caught my 1st Eye (from this lake) on a Panther Martin going for Browns..

Wouldn't use it to target them though.. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts