Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

How do you rate this past Ice Fishing season and why!

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Good

• Fair

• Poor

• Terrible

• I don't Ice fish

• No Opinion

• Undecided

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ice fishing is winding down fast, how was it this past season?

What would you do different?

Dan

·
Registered
943 Posts
it was great. i finally broke my 11-mile curse and i got to go to all the get togethers. granby was great and i would have went more but i just got my auger a little while ago. ;D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I put down fair...I agree, no 50+ fish days at Blue Mesa. I spent a lot of time working the snowmobiles into the whole routine. A couple if lessons learned. Hopefullly next year will be back to normal for me.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
ice fishing hasn't been as good for us this year as last,only caught one trout over 5 lbs this year, last year we caught like 6 with 2 over 7 lbs. and only won a little money in the tournaments. oh well theres always next year. and maybe still a couple of weeks to get the big ones.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Overall, this season was pretty good. Didn't get out as much as I'd like ( but isn't that always the case), but I never got skunked. Fished Granby more that I ever had, and tried Chambers and Seamen for the 1st time. But never made it to John this year, and only fished 11-mile once. Caught lots of fish, but nothing real large. All in all, it was pretty steady, it could of been alot worse.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
very excellent , got a vexilar and jigging machine , caught lots of fish, had a one 40 fish day at green mountain , caught lots of warm water fish at boyd threw the ice, never went to granby

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Overall, I'd rate it good.

Good to excellent for trout this year. No real monsters, a few 20" fish. Good numbers of 12-18" trout everywhere. Vega was not nearly as good as last year, and stagecoach was excellent. Rifle kicked out a big brown for me and several other nice bows of up to 3 pounds.
Lake trout fishing was bad, as compared to the good ole days anyway, since we really don't have big fish anymore. Big numbers of small fish for me. I didn't even bother posting many reports on the lakers.
The panfish fishing was poor. I had some good success for tiny perch at lake X. Otherwise, perch everywhere were not biting for anything. I could catch some, but not many. They were just not hungry. Crappie fishing was good for numbers, but bad for size. I did get a 15" at lake X, but that was a fluke. The next biggest was 13" and most were 6-10". Bluegills weren't biting well but when I caught one it was nice, 5-9".
Pike fishing was excellent. I caught numerous pike over 10 pounds including an absolute monster. I also caught some smaller pike as well. Fishing was moderately paced, as usual, with a couple per day usually, but I usually got at least 1 nice (8 pounds or better) pike per week.
The catfish were biting great at rio, from what I saw. Wished I could've hit em harder.
I'd say overall good.

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have to go with the good for this past season. Would liked to have had better
ice conditions down here, but the fishing in the mountains wasn't too bad.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me it was fair. The ice season in the metro area was way too short. We did try new places, skunked 2 x's at 11 mile, fished Georgetown during a blizzard and had my pull mechanism freeze up so we could not punch new holes, Granby a couple of times, (lost a bunch of fish on the way to the hole and at the hole!)

A little bit more success is all I needed to make the jump to Good. But I learned a lot this year and will put what I learned to good use next year.

Dan

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I thought it was fair. Only went to 11-mile once and caught one 14" bow. Went to the Fork every other Sunday (tried to get back to watch at least half of NASCAR) and didn't do as well as I had hoped. Iced some nice fatties (pike), but no 35+ inchers that I was looking for. I leave at 3:30am in the morning for my last hard-water try. May the lines be tight and the fish aggressive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
had a great season. got out once or twice every week. a couple blue mesa weekends. had a great time with the koks at G.M., once i found them.
didnt get to Aurora, which is bad, and only found the perch once at Chatfield.
got a big bow at Elevenmile and some koks too. only smelled a skunk twice all winter....
oh yea, got to take a friend and his 5 year old son, who he says is obsessed with the thought of ice fishing, and i put them right on top of the koks at Green mtn. he had a great time and now its all he talks about. highlite of the season...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I rate it good.Didn't get out as much as I'd like to,but I did fish 11-Mile & Granby a couple times each & Wolford once,not one day I could call bad.Hope I didn't speek too soon...Going to Granby tomorrow for 1 last try this season. 8)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
caught my biggest ice fish this year last sat, it's like a cruel punishment as now i want to go ice fishing even worse and it's almost gone, maybe i can high pressure my buddy to go ONE MORE TIME.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
jigsallot said:
had a great season. got out once or twice every week. a couple blue mesa weekends. had a great time with the koks at G.M., once i found them.
didnt get to Aurora, which is bad, and only found the perch once at Chatfield.
got a big bow at Elevenmile and some koks too. only smelled a skunk twice all winter....
oh yea, got to take a friend and his 5 year old son, who he says is obsessed with the thought of ice fishing, and i put them right on top of the koks at Green mtn. he had a great time and now its all he talks about. highlite of the season...
It's awesome to get a young kid hooked on fishing!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It was fair for me, just because I didn't get out as much as I usually do, had I lot going on this year. I wanted to spank some crappie at Boyd this year but the weather warmed up and melted the ice before I made it up there. Kind of got spoiled by the easy koke fishing at Green Mt too. Like anything else, you get as much out of it as you put into it and I didn't put as much time and effort into it as I usually do. Kokanee King's got the kokes at Green Mt running scared this year, he kicked butt!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
yes indeed al, we had a blast togather nailing them kokanee , i enjoyed every minute i got on the ice at green mountain, we did very well there , cant wait till next ice fishing season

1 - 19 of 19 Posts