Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went looking for perch with Bandrews and came up short.

I found the one loner perch that apparently wasn't with a school.

Started at 615am. Didn't bring any headlamps and had to deal with holding the light on my phone to try and get setup before the sun rose.

Didn't mark squat the first hour. Drilled quite a few holes and moved every 10 minutes.

Fished in 12-15 FOW and around 730-8 they started waking up.

Caught one small slimer and two decent ones as well as a perch and two crappies.

Bandrews caught a few slimers and one crappie.

The crappie would just start at our offering but wouldn't take it until I dropped the kasty loaded with wax worms.

Bows were caught on a kasty tipped and a small green jig and nightcrawler.

Perch was on the kasty as well.

I need to find a good recipe for frying up perch and crappie. My current one is mediocre at best.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Nice! Here's how I do panfish fillets: Rinse and pat dry fillets and roll in flour. Dip in egg whites. The flour makes the egg stick. Season and roll in Kellogg's cornflake crumbs, the kind made for baking. Fill a frying pan a quarter inch with oil so hot that it sputters like crazy when you put the fish in. This is crucial, not hot enough and they will be soggy. Hot enough and they will come out crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Cook for 30 seconds to 45 seconds each side depending on thickness, put on a paper towel to cool.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kastmisser. I've been doing the opposite, egg wash then flour, but haven't been happy with the results.

Last time I did panko bread crumbs and all I could taste was the panko!

I'll have to try corn flakes next time.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Kast's recipe is solid, don't forget to add a touch of seasoning to the four or the cornflakes... Not a ton.

Another good method that is horribly easy is beer batter.. equal parts beer and flour. I use a malty beer, the richer the better, but hoppy beers tend to not be the best. Cajun seasoning in the flour to taste... again, not a ton. Once mixed, get add more beer or flour until the consistency is thinner than pancake batter, about like indoor house paint. Dip and deep fry. Don't pan fry with beer batter, just use a small sauce pan and put about 2" of oil in it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Alrighty then....You do actually do more than post memes Dallas. Nice job on the multi-species venture. Congrats!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HAHA Ninja! I do actually fish as much as I can.

I usually don't post pics when I go because they're just filthy slimers with the kids at St. Vrain.

This trip was an effort to get away from slimers but 3 of them still found me. So I ate two of em and let the baby go :)

Still haven't found the perch near my house and since I'm not filthy hotspotter I didn't join the masses "Waaaayyy North" :)

Just kidding, I would've be right there with the others but I had to be home by 11am so my better half could get to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts