Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday, 1/24/06-103 cfs at Deckers. Fished around Trumbull both below and above town. Lots of ice in river until about 10:30 a.m. As ice diminished at about 10:30, caught four rainbows on size 18 (Dai Riki 135 hook) miracle nymph in a riffle at the head of a deep hole below Trumbull. Miracle nymph tied with white opaque stretchy lace tied over white thread body and either a very thin cooper wire or brown thread rib to imitate midge segments. Midge without mercury bead head seems to work best imitating the larva stage, but mercury beadhead also works. This fly has become the most consistent fly during the last two weeks, replacing a size 16 nuclear egg (thin white yarn veil over apricot or chartreuse yolk). The nuclear eggs still work for rainbows, but the browns definitely prefer the miracle nymph. Caught three browns later in the day in deeper holes with rock structure above Trumbull.

Wednesday, 1/25/06-Hiked about two miles into Cheesman Canyon on Gill Trail to Rocky Road section of river. trail is in good shape despite some snow remaining in shady areas. Thanks to Trout Unlimited volunteers for their work on trail during the last few years. Caught one 18 inch rainbow on size 16 apricot nuclear egg at around 11 a.m. and then caught five browns between 10 and 14 inches on the size 18 miracle nymph. Saw one other angler and his dog that high on the river. Incredible experience just one hour and a half from Denver.

·
Registered
943 Posts
nice post bruce and welcome to the site ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice report Bruce. It sure is nice to hear the Platte is starting to make a good recovery after the Hayman fire.

How often do you fish the Platte below Cheesman? I'm considering making a quick trip up there, but I also don't want to be surrounded by people.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
excellent report...nice to see some new faces around here....
welcome ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigRedFan said:
Nice report Bruce.  It sure is nice to hear the Platte is starting to make a good recovery after the Hayman fire. 

How often do you fish the Platte below Cheesman?  I'm considering making a quick trip up there, but I also don't want to be surrounded by people. 
BigRedFan- I have been fishing the SouthPlatte around Deckers once a week since the first week in December. I have been refining what works before trekking into Cheesman.

Wednesday was my first trip into Cheesman Canyon in many years. Obviously, fishing on a Wednesday in January significantly reduces fishing pressure, but I would think any weekday this time of the year would be relatively uncrowded. I strongly suggest a comfortable pair of hiking boots and a backpack with your fishing waders, extra coat, etc. will allow you to walk past the fisherman that put their waders on and walk a mile or so to the stream-Bruce

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been fishing the Trumbull area at least once a week since November. November-December time I would have 15-20 fish days - through January, I've been lucky to catch 10 a day, most are less than that. Haven't been skunked yet, but the numbers are down - water temperatures are in the upper 30s. What seems to work best for me is a small tan scud followed by a size 22 gray midge. Usually go up during the week and start fishing around 11 or 11:30 and leave around 3:30-4. Not much traffic during the week, most of the river is wide open. Made a mistake and went up on a weekend once - had to get in line to get to the best sites, and it was almost fished out. Takes me about an hour to get there - great place and good time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for all your help Bruce and huskertrout.

I still agree with Pat Dorsey when he stated that if you can catch fish on the Platte below Cheeseman, then you can catch fish anywhere.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I live in Pueblo and drive through Woodland and Deckers to get to cheeseman canyon. I fish the area right around deckers a lot, but would like to hike in to the canyon. Where is the best place to park and walk in?

P.S. COME ON MAN...PROUD TO BE A CORNHUSKER!!!! We're in Colorado... Just the idea of my mascott being named after corn would embarrass me!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
If you head west from Deckers on 126 (south deckers road), pass the Lone Rock campground, and keep going there's a big paved parking lot on the left (south) side of 126 just past wigwam. That's the Gill Trail parking lot. The trail head is on the east side of that parking lot. The hike in from there is 10-15 minutes to fishing. You can hike in from there about 3ish miles up to the dam if you so desire.

Option B is the upper cheesman trail. You head up toward Cheesman Lake by turning on a forest road which is just down from 126 from the gill trail parking lot. You turn left (the only way you can) on that road, and keep going on it until you get to a fork in the road where there are some mail boxes. Keep going straight and you'll eventually see the parking lot on the left. It's labeled. The hike is extremely strenuous, especially on the way back. 45 minutes in, 1.5 hours out.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Please cancel my last post.....I can't help the Corn! Just kidding. I'm from Colorado, but I went to Baylor, where I promptly lost all interest in college football within 22 days.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Thanks for the directions. I am ready for a hike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts