Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went up to fish williams fork this morning to keep from the crowds at granby. the first mistake i made was getting there too early, walking across the lake from the east boat ramp and proceeded to drill a hole into the dirt! brand new lazer auger blades ruined. put on a semi sharp set of blades and found 30fow and caught ten small lakers in three hours. found out the lakers like something other than sucker meat. now for a little venting, after i got home i went to three big box fishing stores here in the denver area only to find none of them had strikemaster blades in stock. infact somehow these stores think the ice fishing season is over. gees its still jan. dont they have a clue?guess thats what the internet is for.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Yah, pretty wierd. The good ice fishing is really just getting going and the stores are all ready for spring!
Strikemaster will ship you some new blades pretty quick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The old ice auger/post hole digger trick. Almost happen to me once. It all looks the same in the dark ;)Hope you can get some new blades soon.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well like my post says ill have to order them from strikemaster cause all the stores here think its spring time. i shouldnt say every store, louise at valley has alot of ice fishing gear she just sold her last 8inch auger blades.

·
Registered
297 Posts
littlemac said:
well like my post says ill have to order them from strikemaster cause all the stores here think its spring time. i shouldnt say every store, louise at valley has alot of ice fishing gear she just sold her last 8inch auger blades.
check bennett's. I was there today to buy some minnows and they still have a grip of ice fishing tackle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Try The rental place on Federal Just north of the turnpike he is an authorized repair shop thats where I bought my last chipper blades for my old magnum plus.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Thanks for the report. Too bad about the blades...I've done that before- drilled in and hit a rock with the corner of one blade after that the blades wouldn't bite into the ice time for new ones. :p

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
littlemac said:
dont drill into any dirt, really messes up the day, pm me and ill let you know what bait i used.
sucks on the auger, ive done it once at 11mile on a rock....after 26inches of ice, luckly ours has a pre drill point on the end so i didnt get the blade..... dont give ur secret gummybear laker bait up, if they find out about it, it will be a genocyde ;D ;)

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
littlemac said:
, after i got home i went to three big box fishing stores here in the denver area only to find none of them had strikemaster blades in stock. infact somehow these stores think the ice fishing season is over. gees its still jan. dont they have a clue?guess thats what the internet is for.
it is pretty sad what we have available locally for equipment and tackle anymore,compared to just a few years ago, these guys are just too afraid to put anything in stock for fear that they may not sell it right away, and some of the stuff they do put in stock is crap... when SW first came to town a few years back they really were the s**t when it came to ice fishing gear... the others are still really playing catch up when it comes to quality and quantity of good stuff...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would have to agree with you jamie but from what im told from friends that work at these stores they really have no control over what they carry or when. corporate determines this for them. so all we can do as consumers is go elsewhere with our money. like i said louise at valley still carries ice gear she just was out of what i needed wich was no surprise considering it was the weekend of granby tourneyment. from now one ill either order online or visit her store.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well considering its only jan i guess expecting the stores to still have ice fishing gear is crazy, how silly of me. i actually did carry an extra set and was able to keep fishing.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
jamiehughes said:
it is pretty sad what we have available locally for equipment and tackle anymore,compared to just a few years ago, these guys are just too afraid to put anything in stock for fear that they may not sell it right away, and some of the stuff they do put in stock is crap... when SW first came to town a few years back they really were the s**t when it came to ice fishing gear... the others are still really playing catch up when it comes to quality and quantity of good stuff...
X2

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well do not want to preech but quit supporting the box stores we have put the small guy out of businees because we want cheap. Remember the small guy TheY actually fish the way we do. Bring them back. By the way check out Discount fishing on Santa Fe, he usually has them and if you can it is simple to sharpen yourself,

·
Registered
297 Posts
fishfryer said:
Well do not want to preech but quit supporting the box stores we have put the small guy out of businees because we want cheap. Remember the small guy TheY actually fish the way we do. Bring them back. By the way check out Discount fishing on Santa Fe, he usually has them and if you can it is simple to sharpen yourself,
I want to quote so many threads in here in which people who are accomplished fishermen have said they would rather support walmart because they have what they need and they don't have the attitudes that the local shops do.

ice blades are not simple to sharpen, by the way...

Bennett's and budget bait and tackle FTW.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks robotrout, gary of garys reel service was trying to tell me about that place but he couldnt remember the name. that should help alot in the future.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts