Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did not intend to make it a 1,500 trip and it was not supposed to be for crappies only. The plan was to make two trips in 7 days. We were supposed to meet with my brother in law at a near central Kansas. Unfortunately, the bite was not so good. We caught some white bass and smallies but the action was pretty slow by Kansas standards.

After 8 hours of rather fruitless fishing, we met back at the campsite for a late lunch. The brother in law and his friends started to talk about how good the fishing is at some lakes further east. A few drinks and several stories later, we were on our way to eastern KS... The first lake yielded a lot of small wipers, which was not what we were after. So the brother in law tells us that he’ll take us to a couple of lakes near Kansas City if we ride back into his hometown with him. I had heard that the crappies and white bass at one of those lakes were larger than anywhere else in Kansas. So we packed up one more time.

Alas, the larger than life crappies and white bass did not materialize. We went to a 4th lake, which yielded good action on white bass, until a storm came through… This was now Monday last week. We got up early the next morning and caught more white bass, but they were on the small side. So we made the trek back to a couple of lakes near central Kansas.

The fishing was not spectacular but it was nice being in familiar territory. I also learned something new. I always thought crappies were sissy fish to be caught on sissy gear and tiny jigs. It was windy, so I tied on a jerkbait to target wipers and caught this guy:

A few cast later, I caught this one:

I thought it was an accident, but it turned out to be a decent pattern:

Meanwhile, my father in law and my friend were holding their own on sissy gear:

The jerkbait was not the secret lure, just another lure if you get tired of the jigs.

This was not the trip I had planned, but it was more adventurous than my daily routine. And I met some new friends to share fishing stories and a few drinks:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Nice adventure. The anticipation of fishing a new lake makes me quiver!

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Nice work, AO. That's a lot of traveling, still seems like a good time. When I first started fishing KS, my buddy told me "you need at least 4 days, because you're likely to get screwed out of 3 of them" :D

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice fish sir and great report, as always.

Howz the gout treating you?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Mmmmmm....that's a good collection of booze. We were out east this weekend as well. Did aight...it's about to turn on though!!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Great report AO! Looks like good times, keep em coming.
Some good memories being made there, hopefully you got a bunch more pictures that are not to be shared with the general public. :eek::biggrin1:>:D Glad you shared those with us.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Nice Linh very interesting...I bought some smaller plugs for crappies may have to rethink that for where I am heading...I know a couple of guys that have caught bigger crappies locally trolling size 7 flicker shad...

Did they get bigger ones on the fly rod?...using 3 flies on a fly rod as a kid in Minnesota was deadly...you'd get triples sometimes when they were spawning...

Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Fishing is dumb, AO...... But the booze line up looks mighty fine. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Them are striper, no? Love the commitment to keep heading further from home.
There are no stripers where those wipers were caught. My friend did miss what looked like a 20 lb striper at the first lake on this trip.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"you need at least 4 days, because you're likely to get screwed out of 3 of them" :D
Yup, that weather can be friggin' unpredictable. "You only need 1 good day," but that good day sometimes doesn't come, even on a 4-5 day trip.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mmmmmm....that's a good collection of booze.
I was hoping my cousin would bring us some scotch, so I could title this thread: "One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer, and Other Drinks..." He opted for some Jameson instead.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Some good memories being made there, hopefully you got a bunch more pictures that are not to be shared with the general public. :eek::biggrin1:>:D
:-X:D Seriously, there were no pictures that I wouldn't share online. This trip served as a belated birthday celebration for me and we stayed up one night until 4AM, but everyone was on their guard and no one hit the ground. :biggrin1:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts