Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could only fish one lure/fly for pike what would it be? Or what is the first lure/fly I should try when getting to a spot?

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
      Hatch.... At the Fork if you are taking the fly rod start on the flats on the eastern shore using black & red bunny streamers or a craw color imitation. You can also do good with a red or punkinseed with sparkle 3" tube jig filled with crawdad Nitro gravy. For casting, right over the hill to the east from the flats( inlet down the west side), throwing suspending rapalas in the silver & blue color or a rainbow shade should be good especially around the spot where the spring runs in halfway down. Don't forget to throw some buzzbaits over on the flats, can be a killer down there. Thats just a couple to start with, this lake can be real fickle, alot of water to learn!   :-\
     Good luck bud!!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
3/8 oz black buzzbait...terminator preferably. Use a trailer hook for the short strikers.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I would start with a big Dardevle spoon in either red/white or metallic gold; if that didn't work I would go to a Mepps Musky Killer spinner; if that didn't work I'd go to the biggest spinnerbait or buzz bait in my tackle box. If none of those produce, then I'm fishing in the wrong spot.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Suspending jerkbait (Any brand) in a perch pattern. I love suspending jerks with verticle stripes on them.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
People will usually try the lure they have the most confidence in. I'd go with a big inline spinner w/ a silver blade and a natural color skirt. My second choice would be a spinnerbait w/ chartreuse or yellow skirt. If the weeds are in place already, I'd go right to the spinnerbait. Whenever I fish for pike or tigers, I'll get follows -- try figure 8s by the boat, but also have another rod set up with something different. I like a big, lightly weighted, or unweighted grub in a natural color. I'll only spend 10 minutes or so trying to get a follower to hit.

Anyway, bottom line is there's no one "best" pike lure. It's what you personally "know" that big pike is going to hammer!

D

·
Registered
664 Posts
I couldn't narrow it down to one but my top 3 (and the lures I've caught 90+ percent of my pike on)

Large inline spinner (mepps #5 or equivalent)

genuine Eppinger Daredevle spoon

3/8 to 1/2 oz spinnerbait with a twister tail trailer.

Like TFB said, don't be afraid to run a trailer or 'stinger' hook on the spinnerbait. Pike strike from the rear as opposed to fish like muskies and bass which strike from the front. A trailer hook will help with short striking pike.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
A lot of pike i have caught have hit the bait from the side. You can't tell with a spinnerbait how they hit but with jerks sometimes it is sideways in there mouth in my experience. They are not a chase down bait type fish they are ambush hunters.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Crawdad colored 2.5 or 3 in tube jig. I squirt the Nitro gravy down inside the tube jig cavity.
Lick off the excess and cast it out.
Other options would be a black buzz bait or a pearl white
fluke type of soft jerk bait.

L

·
0 Posts
I go to canada with two lures. Mepps #5 and Dardevle five 'o diamonds.

Here in Colorado I would go with a #3 or #4 mepps, color is a personal choice. I also like the 6" castaic rainbow trout.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
as you can see hatch, pike will hit a variety of lures. When they are on the feed, they are simple to catch. All you have to do is get their attention. When they aren't on the feed, in a neutral mode, you have to either piss them off or extreme finess once you spot one. When they are in a negative mode, they are pretty much impossible to catch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts