Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, its a smaller bluegill for jerry creek but still a very nice one. I guestimate his weight at nearly 1.5 pounds. The thing in the picture is a 9.5" long tool that is my brother's.

Since this fish is obviously smaller than my 12.5" many of you have seen, this proves that one to be authentic. Hope you guys enjoy this picture...BTW it was caught on a 4" green senko.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I haven't seen bluegill that big since I was in mid-elementary school. That's a great catch!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, and they get waaaaay bigger out of this lake too. If anybody wants to come over to the west slope, I'm willing to guide on this lake for no fee, just as long as you follow the rules and RELEASE THE BLUEGILL. They will tempt a lot of people, looking for the state record.

T

·
0 Posts
that fish looks like it was caught around christmas time ;D

kidding, nice gill! i used to catch a bunch of gills in the south called shellcrackers on crickets. they fight like crazy swimming in circles.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tomcat said:
that fish looks like it was caught around christmas time ;D

kidding, nice gill! i used to catch a bunch of gills in the south called shellcrackers on crickets. they fight like crazy swimming in circles.
Shellcrackers are redear sunfish right? I always have wanted to catch some of those. And yeah, the weather, like I put into my post on sunday, was the best jacket weather bass fishing I've ever had, although this wasn't one of my bass from that day. I'll put some of those up though here in a bit when I stop being so lazy.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
TFB, Nice fish! You know you can get a Colorado Master Angler patch & certificate for Bluegills over 10 inches, from the DOW? Not that you need that to prove you're a good angler, but it's cool to have. Again, Great fish!   

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got one last year for my 12.5" bluegill. I don't need another one...I'm happy with just the one.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck up there. I doubt you'll get a bluegill though, anytime you get one this time of year is lucky. This one was dumb luck during 30 or so mph winds.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Very nice man!!!! Id love to fish that place! I also respect the fact you let them all go to get bigger!!!

-Jay

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nice bluegill TFB!

When I was younger we used to catch huge bluegill in Ramah Res out east. They say they are all gone but may still have to check it out for myself.

M

·
0 Posts
Ramah dried up last year -- as in no water at all. It has a little water in it now but not enough to hold fish. I take my dogs out to ramah every couple of weeks for some off season exercise and it still looked like a mud puddle last time I was there.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Those are some nice gills, and I got a laugh out of guiding for gills offer. (where I'm from people dont fish for gills unless they have kids to keep them occupied, so I mean no disrespect) I think I will add jerry creek to my list to hit with a fly rod this year, I do like catching bluegills on the fly rod. Probably because it was the first fish I ever caught on a fly rod a 12 inch almost 2lb bluegill.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ePiC said:
Those are some nice gills, and I got a laugh out of guiding for gills offer. (where I'm from people dont fish for gills unless they have kids to keep them occupied, so I mean no disrespect)
Gills that average 10-13" deserve more respect. They fight pound for pound harder than most any freshwater fish. This lake can be difficult sometimes for people because of the extreme weed growth it gets, especially in the summer. (right now there is hardly any), hence why I offered to guide because I know where the schools of 2 pounders WILL be.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
HookNLine said:
Damn thats a nice ******* bluegill. Would it be ok to mount one that size?
I consider anything over a master angler qualifying length to be mountable. I also consider mounting way to expensive so I would never mount anything. But with bluegill the master angler size is 10" in this state if I were to mount a bluegill it would hold off for a 12" one. THe world record Bluegill is only 15" and 4lbs 12 ounces.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts