Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish Granby all the time and have used a 10" gas auger forever. I am considering changing to the 8" Ion or other electric. Just wanted some other others opinions. Do you think I will regret downsizing my hole size? I have only been close to the girth on a laker once and it was when we were putting it back not coming out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
IMO... 8" is plenty big for fish size. If you do any sight fishing, the extra 2" of visibility you gain with a 10" makes a bigger difference toward the positive than you would think. Not sure if the diff in battery usage would be something to consider.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMO... 8" is plenty big for fish size. If you do any sight fishing, the extra 2" of visibility you gain with a 10" makes a bigger difference toward the positive than you would think. Not sure if the diff in battery usage would be something to consider.
Thanks I'm usually fishing deep at the bottom so not much to look at. I have not seen any of the battery powered augers bigger than 8".

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
shoot you'd even be fine with six inch, most fish in Colorado will come through a six inch just fine, what happens when you start down sizing holes is you must get your fish finder cord out quicker but I use a seven inch and never had concern about fish coming through.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
shoot you'd even be fine with six inch, most fish in Colorado will come through a six inch just fine, what happens when you start down sizing holes is you must get your fish finder cord out quicker but I use a seven inch and never had concern about fish coming through.
What Glenn said. And if it were me I would make the switch to a Milwaukee drill/Clam plate setup with a 7" Lazer. Light, dependable, always starts, no gas smell. You can always move up to an 8" blade later if you want.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
What Glenn said. And if it were me I would make the switch to a Milwaukee drill/Clam plate setup with a 7" Lazer. Light, dependable, always starts, no gas smell. You can always move up to an 8" blade later if you want.
Im anxious to try my 8"Mora with the new M-18.

·
Registered
414 Posts
If I can`t see what I`m fishing for I feel like I`m missing 90% of the fun. I drill 4 10"ers in my hut. Love to see what`s going on.

Just say`n..........

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Ion 8 " works great the 10 " not so much with the added drain on the battery . Ion now has the Ionx which has a 5 amp battery but will cost about $200.00 more than the Ion with a 3 amp Battery. The thing to do if you want the 5 amp is find a deal on a 3 amp one and purchase the 5 amp extra battery and will only cost new about $50 more than the 5 amp with one battery .That way you get the 5 amp with an extra 3 amp as backup.
Strikemaster now has there Lithium auger out and from playing with them at a Ice show in September was impressed. They run under $600 for ether the 8" or 10" and come with 2 ,5 amp batteries and Strikemaster states that the 10" model will drill 70 holes through 14" of ice on one charge.
Both Ion and Strikemaster have reverse which is nice to flush out the holes after drilling making pulling the slush out of the hole much less.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I had only seen the 8" ones. I really like the bigger size. It will be nice to not have to deal with the gas on my hands!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts