Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished 11 Mile New Years Day. Got to our spot on the South Shore at 6:30am it was a blustery -20 degrees. Set up over 12 FOW and had non-stop action for the next 2 hours. We landed 25+ fish from 15 -22". Paddlebugs, Ratso's Teaser Tails all worked well. White and pumpkin seed colors. Kept 4 for the freezer and released the rest.

Fishing slowed after 10:00 but picked up nicely around 1:30 with good numbers of larger fish.

It was interesting that there seemed to be current below our spot. Our jigs would consistently swing to the North and move out of sight. While dead sticking, our lines would collect a green algae film and when we raised a rod it was like green dust coming of the line. If fished this spot before and don’t recall either the current or the algae it sure makes for good fishing.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

FC

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Fly Chucker said:
It was interesting that there seemed to be current below our spot. Our jigs would consistently swing to the North and move out of sight. While dead sticking, our lines would collect a green algae film and when we raised a rod it was like green dust coming of the line. If fished this spot before and don’t recall either the current or the algae it sure makes for good fishing.
it mighta been fish swatting at your lures with their tails...i have seen that before, unless they were outa sight all the time but i wouldnt think the current in winter was that strong ...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great job whooping Eleven Mile. I know what you are talking about with the current on that lake. Noticed my jigs drifting past the hole when looking vertically down the hole.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jamiehughes said:
[/quote
it mighta been fish swatting at your lures with their tails...i have seen that before, unless they were outa sight all the time but i wouldnt think the current in winter was that strong ...
I thought the same thing at first but it was to consistent, the heavier jigs would drop straight and the lighter jigs would bow out to the north. Not sure where the current came from. Could be a feeder creek or just the ice weirdness at 11 Mile this year. I've got the spot on my GPS so I'll see if it happens again in the next couple of weeks..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kokaneeking said:
nice report , how thick was the ice ?
It varied between 3-4 inches where the open water was around the old pressure ridge and 8-10 inches in the older ice areas.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_colorado said:
Is that the super secret special scent that you were using in the blue bag? >:D
Yea I've been saving that for you _colorado. Zada thinks it will work well next time your out hunting Mr. Toothy Critter ;D Sorry you didn't make it. I've got the spot on the GPS for next time.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I fish Aurora a lot thru the ice(maybe not this year), since it's so close to me. I've noticed the same kind of current when there is a lot of open water around. Doesn't even have to be windy to make the current. I've seen it in marina cove and out on the gravel flats in the middle of the lake.

When the current is under the ice all I can catch is trout. Not that it's not fun I just usually am after 'eyes and perch.

Sound's like a great day for you guys. Congrats!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Biggie Smalls said:
I fish Aurora a lot thru the ice(maybe not this year), since it's so close to me. I've noticed the same kind of current when there is a lot of open water around. Doesn't even have to be windy to make the current. I've seen it in marina cove and out on the gravel flats in the middle of the lake.

When the current is under the ice all I can catch is trout. Not that it's not fun I just usually am after 'eyes and perch.

Sound's like a great day for you guys. Congrats!!!
I was thinking the same thing. Something else I noticed was the amount of water movement in the hole it seem to be contacting and expanding (kinda bouncing around in the hole) it was a bit windy but the open water was probably 400 yards away. Whatever it is, it sure makes for good fishing. I did have a big Pike come through and slam a Fergie Spoon, broke my rod...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts