Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I stayed at his cabin in Cripple Creek last night. We got up and were on the ice by sunrise. It was my friend, his dad, his dad's friend, and me fishing. I was too sleepy to remember where we went, but I think we parked at a boat ramp other than the main one by the marina store. There were a ton of people there...I guess there was a tourney today? Anyway, we walked forever and settled down along with a whole ton of poeple by some island, apparently on top of a channel. The salmon came through, and the old guys pulled 5 out in an hour. They had a Vex, and said the fish were coming through at around 40 feet, and we were in about 80 FOW. They got the fish on orange Swedish Pimples tipped with mealies. My friend and I were using the same stuff at approximately the same depth, and only got a couple bites, which we missed.

I am skunked 3 out of my last 4 trips...I need to please the fish gods somehow.

The wind didn't start blowing till 9:30 or so. The ice is about 20 inches or so, at least where we were, and there was no snow cover, making cleats an absolute must have.

Pretty day, I'm going to Georgetown Tuesday to kill my skunk.

Peace.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Hey Mustang,sometimes you just gotta pay your dues at 11-mile. That place can be a PITA! If you want solitude and some decent fish try the Fork. I love that place. Just keep your lures MOVING.Later-

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sounds like the same place we were with all the fisherman and huts. that was Witchers cove. we got skunked, in fact new of only 1 fish being iced that morning

read the ariticle in Sunday's Gazette, they have located the kokanee, they stay down by the dam, on the other side of bouys, course no one can fish on the other side of the bouys, with the current running they have all the food they need, only move out when they get the urge

·
Registered
935 Posts
Like a heard of elk staring at your from their refuge on private property! :mad:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lunker, I know it was not Witchers, because I drove past that on the way out. I think the sign said something about a dump station.

There were quite a few fish caught among the tons of people in that area, but that's how it goes sometimes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
fortunately this past weekend the wind was not as bad as the weekend before, talked to one fisherman who was there the weekend before, anchors came loose on his hut, he said he and hut went for 300yd ride, he was SW of Deer Island good thing he didn't hit the rocks

·
Registered
265 Posts
MAN!!!

Is everything shutting down or what? I need to go back up, but it sounds like things are heading south.... Has anyone tried out of Stoll over the weekend?

Tim

·
Registered
829 Posts
Tim, fished Stohl 2 week ends ago, we were 30 minutes late due to a flat tire, around 7:30AM bite was on, read the sunday gazette in sports page, all the kokanee are hangin out by the dam

spoke to one fisherman who fished suckers cove 1-8-06 did not get 1 bite nor did they see any fish on the vexilar

·
Registered
509 Posts
I fished Friday near Stoll in about 12 FOW. Got there just before sunup. Very clear water, like an aquarium. I had tons of very large trout sniffing around my lines. I used orange ratsos with a wax worm. Even seeing them, I was having a hard time getting the hook set on time. Only caught a few. I'm going to try adding a stinger to my jig next time.
Chris

·
Registered
297 Posts
I fished out of Stoll on saturday, started at 6:00 in 14 fow, had action right off the bat(I missed 4 in 30 minutes), finally caught one at about 7:15, then nothing, moved out to about 20fow and had a couple come in and sniff around but wouldn't hit any thing, moved back in to 13fow and looked at the dust cloud forming to the west so I just staked my hut down and rode out the wind til dark, had two more hits and that was it. fish seem extremely spooky now(maybe it had something to do with all the people fishing the tourney, I've never seen it that crowded), all the looks I got were on a yellow lazer and a red ratso, both tipped with a piece of mealworm. long slow day one rainbow just under 18".

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Typical 11-mile stuff,IMO. The action always slows down after december,but there will be some banner days mixed in among the doldrums. This is the time to start trying other lakes that you've always wanted to. Late ice at 11-mile can be very good,like in March.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts