Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit 11 mile around 7:00 at Rocking Chair area. Ice was about 8" in the south bay. Look like there was clear ice all the way out to Goose Island. Their were a couple peopler/groups, that crossed from Rocking Chair/Rogers area to get to the north end of Goose Island. This area was open was last week. I thought they were taking a chance but they seemed to do OK on the ice.

Fishing was slow. I did manage to catch 10 trout. Started with 3 quick trout and then nothing for a couple hours. Was thinking about moving to other side of lake when I caught 4 more in about 5 minutes. Again nothing for couple hours and then 2 quick ones. Had 9 by 11:00am Nothing again until 1:30 when I caught 1. Left at this time. Caught 4 on night crawlers and 6 on pink Ratso and red mealworms. Was fishing in 8/10 foot of water Other groups were in the cove but did not see many fish caught. Fish appeared to be moving around. If you happened to be in their area, you got hits, otherwise very quiet. Their were a few fisherman a Sholl Mtn and some at Witchers Cove.

·
Registered
118 Posts
ya thanks for the report I want to go back out there maybe tommarow!! Still cant believe I was icing sucker cove 3 weeks ago and now its open water! Maybe this cold weather and snow will help things out!!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the report, Hawk. Where do you get the red mealworms? I haven't found them since High Country Bass'n'Shop closed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird Al Yankafish, I send away for my red (giant) mealworms and buy 1000 at a time. I get them from http://www.Rainbowmealworms.net, telephone 1-800-777-9676. I have done this for a few years and have not had any problems. Cost of mealworms and shipping are around $30.00.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The Western gas station, about two miles east of Woodland Park, on Highway 24, the place where the Texas Seven were busted, usually has red mealworms in the small fridge in the back.

·
Registered
863 Posts
_colorado said:
The Western gas station, about two miles east of Woodland Park, on Highway 24, the place where the Texas Seven were busted, usually has red mealworms in the small fridge in the back.
They didn't have any the last time I stopped there. 8)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had real good luck using meal worms bought from Petco. They have large, heavier-duty containers that contain more worms that the little containers at Sportsman's Warehouse. They have both the red and natural colors as well as "super" worms. They're really large - best to bust 'em in half and hook it on the end that's not open. Then squeeze a little guts out so it hangs out of the worm. Then send it down the hole...and hold on!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
MIKINAAK said:
_colorado said:
They didn't have any the last time I stopped there. 8)
They did on 12/23. Maybe there was an after Christmas run on them.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey hey, when your having a hard time finding meal worms got to the pet stores (and use a cat) not really. Pet stores carry mealworms. Not to sure about the red ones though and they are about $1.50 more than bait shops though. PetSmart has big healthy ones. Benetts in Berthoud always has the gear we need both red and regular. These guys are also willing to give up info for the NorCo area. O0 O0

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Weird Al Yankafish said:
Thanks for the report, Hawk. Where do you get the red mealworms? I haven't found them since High Country Bass'n'Shop closed.
Sinclairs gas station in Fairplay has the red mealworms. Also, I've been getting all my waxies @ Pet Smart, they are in great shape, and pretty cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts