Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished out of Sucker Cove on 12/31 and caught 2 nice bows (15.9" and 17"). didn't see too many fish. Also caught a 19" pike closer in to the bluffs. Action was slow all day and it was very warm.

The next day we tried to go fish Duck Island but the warm weather of the rpevious day really played havoc with the pressure ridge that separated Corral Cove from the island. Expecting another warm day we opted not to mess with the pressure ridge (I stuck my shovel handle in almost a foot of semi-frozen slush).

We then moved in close to the large rocks east of Corral Cove. The ice close in - wher we wanted to go - had all bustede up the previous day! There were big chunks, like a square yard, separated by 2-4" of water that had refrozen. Very spooky looking and it was obvious what had happened. So be careful if you plan to head out that way.

We didn't see a single fish in that area either so we moved over to Rocky Flats. We fished over 12' and saw a nice trout cruise by with no interest followed by a 10 pound pike. That was it. The wind kicked up so strong that I thought my hut was going to flip it's anchor. As it was I lost the lid to my thermos bottle as it fell of the hut and went screaming across the ice to who knows where (I never saw it fall out).

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
so did you catch the pike or did it just follow by with no interest? If you caught it, do you have a pic?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I caught a 19" at Sucker Cove on a paddlebug (fishing for trout). The pike at Rocky Flats didn't show any interest in our stuff. There was a guy about 50 yards from us that had 4 pike iced - the largest was about 28", felt about 5-6pounds when I picked it up. The others were between 20-24". FWIW, he reported bouncing Kastmasters off the bottom.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts