Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry my report is a little late..... Fished last Saturday morning from 6:45 to 9:00. I was at Stoll in 15 FOW. Drilled the 1st hole, put the finder in and marked a fish right away..... Dropped the line down as quick as I could and the bobber just kept going! Iced that one and 2 more in the first 20 minutes. Got my last one finally at 9:00 after 6 or 7 missed hits and fish getting off. As I iced the last one, my other one deep sixed and I thought I was going to lose the pole.... Ran over and had a heck of a battle for about 5 minutes... Got his head in the hole twice, but he finally snapped me off. It looked to be around a 6 or 7 pound rainbow... Oh well.... I would've had to throw him back anyway!! It was all I could do to control my two lines with fish on and re-baiting. LOTS of FUN!! Anyway, left with my limit at 2 just under 16" and 17.5" and a 18.5"... I fished with Rat finkies and a half of a red mealworm about 3 feet off the bottom.

Just walk out and look for the old channel where the ice is different. The current line is very noticable in a straight line that extends from the far west end of the lake all the way in to the bay and stopping at Rocky flats. Set up on either side of this line and you will get them!

We just grilled some of those orange rainbow fillets on a cedar board with potlatch seasoning the other night and MAN were they good!!! Better than Salmon in my book. You can get the boards and potlatch at Williams Sonoma.. Some of the best seasoning I have come across!

Next trip I may have to head to Deer Island and try for those Kokes though!!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Great report, I was wondering about red meal worms, no one I've ever talked to fishes them. Do you think they work better then regular meal worms? Or better then Waxies?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they work GREAT!!! I always snip the end off though to keep the juices flowing!!

Verses wax worms??? Not sure... They are my favorite, but all I had that day was the red mealies so I used those.

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Tim-COS said:
I think they work GREAT!!! I always snip the end off though to keep the juices flowing!!
Hah I usually do the same.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Were you fishing near the pressure ridge? How deep was the water? I was near stoll mountain just out from the camp ground parking lot in about 15 ft of water and caught six nice bows before 11:00

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice job!  What color Rat Finks were you fishing with.  Did one color seem to be better than the others.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't a pressure ridge.... You could just see the change in the ice where the current comes in. I was fishing in 15FOW.

The best colors I have found so far are the pink and glow-in-the-dark. At least that day that was the case. The one day I was there I couldn't keep them off the orange one...

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts