Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and Tom(Trout) hit the ice about 8am. Began at Lazy boy bay in 10 FOW.Ice was 5 inches.I caught a dead koke on a 1.5" brown tube.Missed a trouty on same.2 other bites.The WIND was about 40 MPH. We decided to go to Sucker Cove and maybe hide from the wind a little bit.We got there 1130-noon.Wind was actually manageable there and we drilled some holes.Solid 5 inches.I caught another dead koke on the brown tube.Tom caught a 17" bo on a 1/8 gold kasty. Then I caught a 16.5" bo on the green lazer. About 1:30 I caught a 20" bobo on the green lazer. We left at 2:20. The weather had turned almost pleasant(for 11-mile) by then. The entire lake has a lid now,by next weekend ice should be thick enough to do some moving around. 11-mile beat me up saturday but I will not be defeated!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Excellent Slayer, thanks for the report.
Glad you havn't found where I fish thou!
Just givin you $&!T. ;D

I am heading up Saturday morning.
Here's a tip. I'm the one with cruches and a broken right leg. Oh ya the ice isn't slippery is it? Gosh I hope not, my doctor tole me not to do go. Can't help myself I will not let you have and your buddies have all the fun. Mikinaak 8)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
nice fish those black kokes are gross. You don't eat them do you????? :-X :-\

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TroutFishingBear said:
nice fish those black kokes are gross. You don't eat them do you?????  :-X :-\
Like I posted on 12-3,no I wouldnt eat those stinkin things! We leave them for the raptors and coyotes-it brings good Karma,man!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
hell yeah! just like leaving old anchovies for the crows and whatever else may venture out on the ice; but hopefully not people ;D

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On saturday we had a bald eagle circling us for the last couple hours. I have NO DOUBT he scared those crows away and scarfed down! I think I'll get a double-digit bo this weekend.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This will be my first Ice Fishing season in Colorado. I'll be coming out there on Dec. 20 and I have a house in Hartsel, not too far from 11 mile. I've gotten a couple tips, but what do I really need besides an ice rod, something to drill a hole with, warm clothes, and a skimmer?
Also, I've been watching the weather and it's been -15 to about +15, how come there's only 5" of ice? Is 5" really enough, I'm a pretty big guy and hate swimming with my clothes on, in ice water.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill,dude- It just froze last week thats why only 5". The 12th will be fine,just dont jump on the pressure ridges or run to the middle of the lake without test holes. Common sense. Besides all my large trout come from 15' or less. At 11-mile,if you are not catching fish,then go shallower!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Whadley you can always where a life vest if your unsure, Make sure you have some picks to get out if needed. The only worry for 11 mile by the 20 of december is pressure ridges, just stay away from them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the information. What does a pressure ridge look like? Remember, down here in Flori-duh we don't get a lot of ice fishing opportunities.
Bill

·
Registered
360 Posts
Bil if you need a some gear you can rent just about anything from the 11 mile store? everything from rods to shelters might be a good way to see if you like ice fishing before you drop a lot of cash on your own gear. They have a web site www.11mile.com and you may also try the guys at 11milesports.com Good Luck and don't forget to post how you did.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Bill, a pressure ridge can do 1 of 2 things, either it pushes together and buckles or it pulls apart and seperates. Snow can then blow on the open water and it looks like ice but isn't. Even the buckled ice can be dangerous.
Loast year my son and me had to walk along ways to find a safe place to cross, don't want to scare ya just inform you. 8)

T

·
0 Posts
i know what a koke is, but what is a dead koke? are you hooking a fish that is literally dead or is the fish near dead from life span/spawning?

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tekneek said:
i know what a koke is, but what is a dead koke?  are you hooking a fish that is literally dead or is the fish near dead from life span/spawning?
See reply #11 to my 11mile 12-3 post.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts