Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried for Kokanee last week in the main channel off of Witcher's Cove around Deer Island, with no luck. I tried near Duck island, in the channel on Monday and did not spot a fish. I hit Witcher's Cove, South East of Deer Island, in the main channel yesterday and did not get a hit. I marked fish but not a hit. So far I am batting 0 for 3. I even tried dead sticking for trout when I jig for Kokanee but not a hit.

I use a jigging machine and a Vex. I started fishing around 7:30 yesterday and spotted Kokanee early at 60 - 70 feet. About every half hour a school would come through. The Kokanee went from 60 - 70 feet down to around 40 feet. Although they would look/follow my jig, they would not hit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the update. I have taken my jigging machine out only once this ice season, targeting the Kokanee. I too had no luck. My other trips I've been after the trout with fairly good luck. The locations you have tried have been productive in past years, hope one of these time you connect with the enemy.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I used to try for kokanee all the time years ago out in the middle by the islands and never did get one. Trout and pike are easier and more willing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow, sorry you got the skunk. Never have tried for kokes but your last several trips have sounded alot like ours fishing for trout at the Mile. Hoping for better luck next trip out!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Kokanee are tough. I have no advice. The only thing that I will say is that I have noticed a difference in being around jigging machines while fishing for anything other than kokes. It seems to scare away the trout, pike, etc. So I would only have it on while koke fishing.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Friday was HOT for kokes at 11-mile... our spots have died (only caught a few on Wednesday in the same spot) since then but they are definitely around. The bite seemed to be best in the afternoon 2pm - 5pm.

Here's 8 + 1 trout I caught before I had to leave.... the rest of our group limited out that afternoon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Seems to me Coyote Ridge did pretty good for the Kokes around this time of year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts