Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

11 Mile (26 Dec) + PHOTOS!

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  TroutFishingBear 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I remembered my camera this time!

We were on the ice on the north shore at 6:15 AM and started getting hammered by first light (with fish, not booze!) ;)

We iced 7 and lost 4 by 8:30 and then it was good night.  We piddled around the reservoir for awhile, tried to buy my 2006 Parks Pass several times but the ranger was busy inspecting licenses on the ice, then finally made it to Stoll where we iced the last fish around 3:30.  Should have packed it in at 10Am but it was too nice. 

I was able to buy my parks pass on the way out and the ranger told me that Witchers was producing kokanee in 25 feet of water over the channel today.  He even said that pike were iced at Witchers as well.

Anyway, on to some photos.  Here's the lineup with the smallest being 15" and the largest 19 1/2".  All but one were on Ratsos (orange and pink with white heads) tipped with waxworms - the other was on a paddlebug with a mealy.  Two of the girls were loaded up with eggs, one quite mature while the other was small and will make good egg sacks for Granby Lakers in a couple of weeks (I'm going the week after the Forum).   Later!

The Lineup (it's a 22" net)

My Son with The Big Guy

Here's an Even Better View of the Catch

See less See more
G
#9 ·
well, thats a per person bag limit, so they could (assuming it was just him and his son) have 4 fish over 16, and we can assume the other three are between 15 and 16 inches, but not over

always gotta give the benefit of the doubt, lol

#11 ·
Thanks Forum for calling me on the bag and possession limit and 11 Mile. For the record, only the 3 on the left were over 16" while the others were right at 16". I went to the DOW website and the regulation states two over 16", not equal to 16" (so much for my ******* impersonation). My son and I lucked out on this one - continue reading.

But I am thankful because after ice fishing 11 Mile for over twenty years (I don't fish there otherwise) I can't recall knowing that the limit changed in 2001 (as I found out today). Being too familiar with the water led me to make too many assumptions. I have an anuual pass so I never stop at the entrance stations and consequently don't read what can be posted there. Completely mea culpa.

So I'm taking this as an excellent lesson for myself and hope that others can benefit this as well. Don't take anything for granted, even rules/regs on your home water.

Mustang, you can get Ratsos at Sportmans Warehouse as well.

Dan, we were in 12-13' of water.

#13 ·
Not many of the pike I've seen come out of there are really big enough to eat the big trout. It is funny that I rarely see truly small trout come out of 11 mile (maybe those are pike food, and the ones that get away get big enough to avoid pike predation?). Of course, maybe there are lots of small fish being caught, and people just aren't talking about it. From what I have seen, though, there just aren't many small (typical stocker-sized) trout caught there.

#16 ·
11 mile has a lot of suckers and carp too right? I bet the pike primarily focus on those; much easier to catch and generally prefer a bit warmer water like the pike do. If there are crawdads, pike also chomp on those. In fact, at stagecoach, that is all the pike eat that I've caught and cleaned. The pike are kind of orange-meated there! Pike also feast on little pike. I really think a lot of it is a misconception that pike feast on the trout so much; although they do eat them, don't think I don't know that. 11 mile is proof that great pike and great trout can co-exist well!
Anyway, that's a good report. I am very, very tempted to fish 11 mile!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.