Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awoke at 4am to Hit up the mile with Todd. We saw like 600 Elk along 285 a few miles north and just north of Red Hill Pass. Saw tons of antelope. Stopped to pee on the bridge over the Dream Stream. Saw 2 Bald Eagles and about 10 Blue Herons.

Usually if you see lots of animals, you'l' get lots of fish. ;)

Got to the same spot and caught the same fish as last 2 posts. Had an Osprey glide over us right b4 the 1st cast. I landed 13 and Todd landed 10 all clones 17-18" and fat. We had our fill of trout and a cold NW breeze by 1pm and decided to go to Coyote Ridge and Backcountry Bay to get out of the wind. It was rather pleasant back in there and lo! the trout were actually hitting metal. I missed a couple that appeared to be the clone size but we ended the day at 630-7pm by each catching around 25 little stockers in 30 minutes on the east side of the 1st big bay by the coyote ridge parking lot. There must be a million little guys stacked up in there.

Got home at 10 pm. A sterling day for sure. No pics, nothing of any size, and the brutal wind made pics seem unimportant versus keeping hands warm.

Saw a boat on 11-mile bobbing in the waves and Spinney was open.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Re: 11-mile 3-4

Great report and as usual, not just bragging but lots of useful info in there too. 8)

·
Registered
2,142 Posts

Mike, you should have come by and said "Hi"! Glad you guys got into some.

Spinney may have been free of ice but definately wasn't "open" to fishing. (legally)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

Dad was out there today in the boat, didn't even have a bite. ??? How's the new job there Alpinefisher?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Re: 11-mile 3-4 -Meat pics added-

I'm beginning to think your diet consists of trout more than anything else. You know you're a good forum personality when you can slay so many fish & still get plenty of forum love. What's your favorite way to cook them?

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

FISHAH0LIC said:
I'm beginning to think your diet consists of trout more than anything else. You know you're a good forum personality when you can slay so many fish & still get plenty of forum love. What's your favorite way to cook them?
I eat orange trout 2-3 times/week. Fav way is on the grill, a little teriyaki, lemon pepper, garlic, more pepper. Skin side down about 5 minutes, turn, remove skin, 2 minutes, flip again, 2 minutes, perfect!

PS, It ain't love, I just don't give a damn what people think of me- ;)

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

Mike, you know I think Antero trout are inedible because of the weeds they forage in. Is there a milder taste to Elevenmile trout, with deeper and clearer water and fewer weeds (except for the inlet area)?

·
Registered
958 Posts

SLAYERFISH said:
FISHAH0LIC said:
I eat orange trout 2-3 times/week. Fav way is on the grill, a little teriyaki, lemon pepper, garlic, more pepper. Skin side down about 5 minutes, turn, remove skin, 2 minutes, flip again, 2 minutes, perfect!

PS, It ain't love, I just don't give a damn what people think of me- ;)
The fish recipe sounds good. Not caring what people think is another good recipe around here.

·
Registered
958 Posts

sswan said:
Mike, you know I think Antero trout are inedible because of the weeds they forage in. Is there a milder taste to Elevenmile trout, with deeper and clearer water and fewer weeds (except for the inlet area)?
I have kept only 1 or 2 Antero trout in my many trips there. I thought they were perfect in taste (for trout). I will not keep another kokanee from there though! They were as bland as you can ever imagine & I love kokanee from Blue Mesa.

One interesting find at Antero was the 7 1/2 lb cutbow with 6-7 big leeches in it's mouth. I didn't realize Antero had leeches, but I know now!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

FISHAH0LIC said:
One interesting find at Antero was the 7 1/2 lb cutbow with 6-7 big leeches in it's mouth. I didn't realize Antero had leeches, but I know now!
FISHAHOLIC--I grew up eating very mild tasting trout out of ice cold clear streams in Michigan. I can smell weedy tasting fish while they're cooking, and I can't stomach more than one bite of a fish out of a weed filled lake. That's why I like Blue Mesa, timberline, and river trout so well. No weeds = no weeds ingested while foraging = no weedy taste. And yes, Antero has leeches. Leverage that.

·
Registered
958 Posts

sswan said:
FISHAH0LIC said:
FISHAHOLIC--I grew up eating very mild tasting trout out of ice cold clear streams in Michigan. I can smell weedy tasting fish while they're cooking, and I can't stomach more than one bite of a fish out of a weed filled lake. That's why I like Blue Mesa, timberline, and river trout so well. No weeds = no weeds ingested while foraging = no weedy taste. And yes, Antero has leeches. Leverage that.
There may be a lot of weeds there but those fish aren't getting that fat on veggies. Why would the salmon there be as bland as can be?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts

Nice job mike, great looking plate o orange...

Fishaholic...if he did it with 24 inch walleyes we would stone him!... ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts