Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in 9FOW off the North Shore in front of a nice rock. When I dropped my camera could see that I landed over a beautiful underwater alley. The structure was perfect. The first pike came in about 7:30 and took my anchovy which was 2 feet below the ice. I reeled up my trout jig and watched her spit the anchovy. She swung around and took it again, started to swim and spat it out again. She came back a third time - by now the anchovy was pretty ratty looking - so I gave it a little twitch and she took it. This time I decided to just try to set the hook before she lost interest and I got her. Took about 3 minutes and she ended up being 33"+ and 11.4 pounds when I got home, so probably closer to 12 pounds when caught.

About 45 minutes later I was watching my camera when the picture went crazy then dark. I figure a pike had to be messing with it and, sure enough, when the picture came back I saw the scales and pattern of the pike swim with inches of the camera, heading for my anchovy. Very, very cool. I wish I had that recorded - it was worth the price of the camera (Thanks Andy!). It was in the 38-40" range and had a big red tube jig sticking out of the corner of it's mouth. Somebody lost a prize this weekend. It hit my anchovy and, as I reeled up my trout jig, it spat the anchovy! It came back once and nosed it but never took it again.

I went out to deeper water around noon and made it to the channel for trout. The wind was blowing crazy but the new coat with the hood worked great. I worked that for 30-40 minutes and never saw a blink on the Vex.

The most amazing part of the day was that I almost had the lake to myself - literally. The marina was closed. No one - zero, nil, not one person was on the south shore. When I was over the channel I saw one guy at Stoll and no one to the east. No one else was in the park when I left at 3PM - no one at Larry's or Coyote. Wow.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Decent pike! That's so exciting to watch them eyeing a chovie and biting. Most of the big ones I've had come in just eye it and bump it a few times. :(

W

·
0 Posts
That's sweet pike! I dream of the day a beauty pike takes the time to come check out my sucker/anchovie and take it!

Nice job!

·
Registered
121 Posts
can i ask where do you find anchovies, are they fresh from a fish market, or from a can? forgive the ignorance, just getting into ice fishing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Congrats on a very nice report and a nice fat pike! We had the same experience last Sunday at 11 Mile with the camera as well. All of a sudden the picture on the screen starts moving and then you see a big pike mouth looking at the camera, it is cool. I would love to catch a pike like that. I was also wondering where you get anchovies? We have tried suckers but never anchovies. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Outlaw Bait in Colorado Springs is where I get mine.

BigFishAllDay - that will be a great picture - I'm going to toss a plank in my sled for the next shot!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts