Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same lake,same results! Except they've grown a little from my early July reports.Launched Slayerboat @7:45am on sat. and caught first fish at around 9am,a 17" cutty on a twister tail. Followed that with a bo on kasty:

Final tally was about 20 bo's on rainbow kasty and worm/bobber,including the biggest at 19" and 4lbs. Okay,it was actually 3 7/8 lbs but I give it 4:

Launched monday same time Caught only 15 bo's,with all fish coming on either worm/bobber or worm/bubble. Actually the worm/bubble was killer and caught my biggest fish including a 17 3/4 inch bo on monday. Best area was just out from Stoll mtn. campground. The 19"er came from the rocky islands just out from Rocking Chair. Best depth was 11-25 ft.Everything was caught within 6-10 ft of the surface.Heres a pic of my dad-in-law holding a few:

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Hey Slayer, what a difference actually stocking trout makes huh?;D Good Job!!!!!

Seems like the lean days are now officially over at South park? Lets hope they get Antero online next year?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Neal/CO said:
Hey Slayer, what a difference actually stocking trout makes huh?;D Good Job!!!!!

Seems like the lean days are now officially over at South park? Lets hope they get Antero online next year?
No its just slayer, if there are some nice fish in there he is going to catch them. Good Job Slayer, some nice looking trout there.
I drove by the mud puddle they call Antero this weekend... Hopefully something comes of it in the future.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Slayer knows what i meant!

There was a long period where the DOW had very little WD free trout to put in there. That drought is now over.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can say with certainty that Tarryall will rock this winter!I fished it about 10 years ago after they drained it back then and the fish grew big and fast.Although its hard to leave 11-mile to go fish anywhere else,Tarryall can be a nice change of pace.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice fish keep it up

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fishinguitars said:
no northerns or koke's ....
Nah,didnt try for anything else-F-in-law likes his trout,for a couple hours there on saturday couldnt hardly keep one rod in the water.If he's happy,I'm happy!

Y

·
0 Posts
Fished the mile on Sunday...did not get the boat in the water until 9:00. Fished Howbert point until noon and managed three trout (16-17"), my wife caught one..but was napping most of the time. We fished hardware for the first hour without a bite then my wife threw out some bait and caught her fish so I did the same and had a fish on before I could tighten line. We fished off the bottom with powerbait and mellows. Had one trout break my line cause he kept runnin under the boat and I only had 6# XL.....big fish got away again. Lots of bites, lots of fun. At noon we fished various coves for pike without any luck....should have stuck with trout fishing....but you never know.

Hey Slayer, what size hooks do you use..I have been using eagle claw size 10 bait hooks for powerbait, worms, and mellows...just wondering what a better hook might be so I can get a better hook set %.

Drove by tarryall on the way home and was thinking about casting a few but it was a zoo..there were people everywhere so we kept driving. ...good ole labor day weekend! I can't wait for antero to open again...not just because that is where I have caught my largest trout but also to relieve the fishing pressure on the other south park lakes.

·
Registered
16,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yellow Jackets said:
Hey Slayer, what size hooks do you use..I have been using eagle claw size 10 bait hooks for powerbait, worms, and mellows...just wondering what a better hook might be
I use size 12 Mustad light wire.They're small diameter and really,really sharp so the point sinks deep.Also I bend them a little to the side for more gap.My uncle turned me on to 'em in the 70's. I've lost several fish under the boat at 11-mile this year,real sharp down there!Feel your pain!

Y

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the tip Slayer....I don't feel so bad now about not catching as many fish as you do since you were trying out different hooks while I was still trying to walk back in the mid 70's!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts