Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to 11 mile Canyon today, most of the river is frozen but the 2miles+ from the dam is open. hundreds to thousands of rainbows stacked up in there too. But the bite was hard. Ended up catching 12 and Cody caught 5. Caught the majority on San Juan worms and copper johns. I tried a ton of different midges but no luck. There was a gnat hatch going on (I didnt have any gnat patterns) and the water was practically boiling with all the rainbows tagging them these ladies that were fishing caught a couple this way . One guy was doing very well on a disco midge (also didnt have any of these). If you can figure out what these guys are eating and match it you can easily have over 50 fish day I could see them feeding off the bottom and they were hitting the surface.... Let me know when you go so you can teach me. :p

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
nice looking bows , when i was there awhile back i was checking it out there was lots of nice pools with lots of rainbows crusing around

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
kokaneeking said:
nice looking bows , when i was there awhile back i was checking it out there was lots of nice pools with lots of rainbows crusing around

Lots is an understatement. There are so many fishies it's amazing. Now, if I could only get them interested in biting.

BTW, love that first picture. Nothing like a kid excited by a fish.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silicone boy said:
kokaneeking said:

Lots is an understatement. There are so many fishies it's amazing. Now, if I could only get them interested in biting.

BTW, love that first picture. Nothing like a kid excited by a fish.
I know what you mean... I can see them feeding both under the surface and ontop but cant match whatever it is they are feeding on.

He was pretty excited, he had only caught 1 trout on the fly rod before that day, he has caught tons of bluegills but trout spit the fly faster then he could set the hook... Had to work with him alot on his drift and line control.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
scody357 said:
nice pics.

Im looking forward to trying the canyon. Is the wind as bad as 11 mile?

Because it is in a canyon, you have some protection, especially near the dam. When I'm getting beaten up on the Dream Stream, I often decide to take a leap off of the 11-mile dam into the canyon. :eek: :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts