Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
31 Aug 14 i set out on a camping adventure to 11 mile canyon. First time fly fishing alone might I add. Arrived at 730 am with so much anticipation. I began in a little spot with a beautiful drop off with current flowing right into it. I put on a dry fly i never used before and started casting. Sure enough after 2 or 3 iffy casts i was hit. After a 10 second struggle i pulled in my first Cutty on a dry fly. Mind you it was only half a pound at most i was still stoked. After another 20 minutes i was bit again but i lost the fish and it felt like a good one.

Soon after we went up farther up the trail i had a gut feeling about this spot. I rigged up a elk hair caddis to a nymph to a small midge (amazing pattern compliments of mmike for tying me some last minute). My instict was right i started slaying them i caught 2 dinks, 2 18inch assorted rainbow and cutthroat. All from the same he! Lets just say this will be my new confidence spot!

We called it a day on account of my 7 month fussing so weleft around 2pm. The following morning i caught a 16 inch rainbow that faught like mike tyson! The water flow was perfect. The water was clear and i could see fish with my polo shades 2 plus feet under.

All in all fishing was great the night was cold. It was the best 6$ entrance fee i ever paid!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
31 Aug 14 i set out on a camping adventure to 11 mile canyon. First time fly fishing alone might I add. Arrived at 730 am with so much anticipation. I began in a little spot with a beautiful drop off with current flowing right into it. I put on a dry fly i never used before and started casting. Sure enough after 2 or 3 iffy casts i was hit. After a 10 second struggle i pulled in my first Cutty on a dry fly. Mind you it was only half a pound at most i was still stoked. After another 20 minutes i was bit again but i lost the fish and it felt like a good one.

Soon after we went up farther up the trail i had a gut feeling about this spot. I rigged up a elk hair caddis to a nymph to a small midge (amazing pattern compliments of mmike for tying me some last minute). My instict was right i started slaying them i caught 2 dinks, 2 18inch assorted rainbow and cutthroat. All from the same he! Lets just say this will be my new confidence spot!

We called it a day on account of my 7 month fussing so weleft around 2pm. The following morning i caught a 16 inch rainbow that faught like mike tyson! The water flow was perfect. The water was clear and i could see fish with my polo shades 2 plus feet under.

All in all fishing was great the night was cold. It was the best 6$ entrance fee i ever paid!!
Was just there on friday and the fishing was awesome. It's a pretty special place. The dry fly action was excellent on terrestrials and stimis. Good to hear you're getting in to it by yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just there on friday and the fishing was awesome. It's a pretty special place. The dry fly action was excellent on terrestrials and stimis. Good to hear you're getting in to it by yourself.
colo

I was by myself that day but ive gotten a ton of help from jim aka mmike here on the forums. He has taught me alot from what a nymph is to casting to even reading the water. Thanks guys it really is an awesome place!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Usually a good trico hatch in the am which really makes the river come alive..

Thanks for the report and congrats..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good news !! Glad you've gotten the confidence to get after it on your own, nicely done sir ! Great to hear you caught a few nice ones too, it keeps getting easier in time. You'll top your personal best before long im sure. Just keep paying attention to where and how you caught each fish, and you'll be able to read any river like a book. That fly has been a killer for the last couple years, especially in the canyon, but works everywhere.

Keep it up !

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
You do realize that CDOW stocks a specific type of intelligent deficient trout in that stretch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You do realize that CDOW stocks a specific type of intelligent deficient trout in that stretch?
There is always one hater in the bunch! Thanks for your non supportive attitude towards a new fly fisherman. Anyways it doesnt bother me. Well move the hate somewhere else buddy :D

·
Registered
592 Posts
11 mile sucks; try the platt in commerce city. lots of dry fly action there.
Joke's so funny you had to tell it 4 times?

·
Registered
6,273 Posts

he bit your ear off?:eek: LOL. good report and good job getting into em!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts