Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a great week of fishing. Family & friends came out & we had some great days. Anyway I was beat yesterday so the boys went up to the canyon on their own. When they got back I asked how it was. They said they were back up in the Gold Medal Waters again (Iowa Mississippi River Boys loved the Gold Medal Waters BTW) and they saw 8 non-english speaking (hispanics) sitting @ a hole in the Gold Medal Waters. They were using Minnows, some of the younger guys just had line wrapped around their hands. I'm not stereotyping here, but what are the chances that 1. they even had fishing licences. 2. did they or were they aware of the area they were fishing? 3. how many trophy fish did these guys take home? my buddy tried to instantly strike a conversation up to see how they were ndoing (he was real pissed about them using these techniques) and said they did not understand 1 word he said. So he had no choice but to move on. He was looking for a ranger or someone with authority but never found anyone.

Is this a case of not being able to read the signage? Do we need to have the DOW put spanish speaking signs up?

I would like to report this to the DOW or the highest person to get something done about this. Please e-mail me an address so that I can get this to the right person or organization. I don't agree with all of the Rules & Regs. but on the other hand I respect them and always follow them and I was pretty upset about this when I heard it.

All the Best,

TL

·
Registered
943 Posts
putting spanish signs up isnt going to stop anything. i go over to spratt they have signs in spanish it dosent matter. why should our fishing funds go to put up signs in a different language anyway? isnt english our language? im sorry but it is really getting bad when i spend have my day reading spanish just my opinion.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i totally agree if they want to live in this great country learn to speak english . I also dont know why our tax dollars go to the city works that fish at spratt and dont monitor the lake whatsoever . look at quincy that is the way to take care of a body of water . Ive seen a few people get busted at quincy and recieve tickets . Also ive only been there a couple of times that the ranger didnt check my fishing license . I would gladly pay 50 dollars a year to fish spratt if they had a on call ranger at all times . As far as the hispanic's fishing if they get to live here without proper documentation to work, and somehow find a way to get there cars and trucks plated . send there illegal children to schools where we have special programs to teach them english . Why would they take the time to buy a fishing license or obey the rules we have . I might be stereotyping but this is the way i see it . I know there are good numbers of hispanics out there that speak english and contribute a great deal to our society . But the hispanics that cant speak english from what I can see are here to exploit our country not embrace it . Im not a racist but these things have been bugging me for years . Just like the asains who fished at croke res. using shrimp to catch bluegill and taking a hundred or more a day . yesterday I took my son and my two nieces fishing for bluegill how sad is it that it took me three lakes and 45 mins to find a lake with a bunch of bluegill. When the three i went to used to be awesome when i was a kid . Not to leave out my own race what about the white guys that are there to drink beer and not fish . You see the remains of these boneheads at all our lakes . I drink when i fish and its not that hard to pick up after yourself . For some reason cheap beer and littering go hand in hand . very frustrating when in my mind after a couple tickets get written people will understand abusing lake and streams isnt ok and will cost you . all people by the way .

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
afisherman-Right you are.  Call me old fashopned but if you come to this country (legally I hope) you have an obligation to learn the language.  Its in your best interest anyway -all of the better jobs can only be had if you speak English.

The fishing line just tied around the hand or a can, FYI is called a bolo I believe.  Maybe somebody can correct me if this is wrong.  I don't even agree with some of the areas they have made flies and lures only but the rules are the rules and I will abide by them even when I don't agree.  Ed

·
Banned
487 Posts
I have to say maybe it's because so many people are sick of having everything made flies and lures only.
Take Lee's Ferry on the lower Colorado. It used to allow worms and had tremendous fishing pressure. Then the fish were much bigger and numbers were way higher.
Now worms are banned and fishing pressure is a fraction of what it once was. That shows to me that flies and lures only regs are often inconsequential.
Always obeying the rules? I'm not condoning law breaking, but I would consider it civil disobedience to use worms where they were banned but once allowed. We need to prevent TU and the CDOW from getting their grubby little hands on all our fisheries.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Funny that you guys want everyone to speak english, when that isn't even our national language. I think we should be more understanding about people in a new country, with new rules that they maybe dont understand. Maybe signs would help educate people who have no idea they are breaking any rules. I know it's frustrating to fish with lures and catch nothing, and watch someone fishing illegally reeling them in, but maybe you could go learn some spanish and tell them that what they are doing is illegal, and go from there. I'm sure if you went somewhere where people didn't speak english you'd appreciate locals informing you on laws that you where unaware of.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is our national language if not english. If im getting ready to fish a new body of water I find out the rules and regs before I go, and im sure most of the people in this forum do the same ....as far as learning spanish I will if I plan on visiting a spanish speaking country . other then that I dont feel its my responsibility to do so or anyone elses that lives in our country . If your gonna move into a new country you shouldnt expect the people to have special treatment for you because you dont know the language . Im sure paying a couple hefty fines will help them learn the language a little faster . Im so tire of people pushing blame on other things when someone is wrong . I see it cut and dry you break the laws you pay end of story . I dont care if you cant read cant speak whatever if you break the law you pay .

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I believe Spanish was spoken in these parts long before English was. Remember, the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo by which we annexed what is now the western United States would not pass muster in any world court today. That being said, I don't see why anyone would want to be mono-lingual. It helps to know both English and Spanish, no matter who you are. As for Mexican nationals exploiting us, well I can't see how. In addition to my day job, I do a lot of real estate development and I have to say that the work ethic of native born Americans is not up to snuff. Give me a Mexican national who is willing to bust his butt any day. If you want someone to learn the native language of the area, have them learn Ute or Arapahoe. Not too many classes teaching it though.

As for using bait on 11-mile, I guess it's an educational and cultural thing. It takes effort to change attitudes about wildlife management. You may not have much respect for them, but I don't have much respect for those don't catch and release trout , just as I don't have respect for most hunters because many are lousy shots. If you can't make a clean kill with one shot, don't take the shot.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ROB THE SIGNS AT SPRATT ARE IN SPANISH!!!!!!!!!!!! IT DOSENT DO A BIT OF GOOD. ALSO, I WAS STATIONED IN JAPAN WHILE IN THE AIR FORCE I HAD TO LEARN JAPANESE TO GET AROUND THERE.

·
Registered
943 Posts
LIKE MY SON WHO CANT GET A JOB AT MCDONALDS BECAUSE HE REFUSES TO SPEAK SPANISH. GIVE ME A FRIKKINN BREAK

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Next time call the DOW. They have an officer who lives around Lake George who would be happy to stroke a few tickets.
As a taxpayer, I am getting sick and tired, of having to contribute to the extra expense of placing additional signs in Spanish.
Language, Culture and Borders is what defines a nation and sadly we are losing all three!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont care about there work ethic . little kids in sweat shops bust there butts too doesnt mean I want to hire them when its against the law. As far as the language its english and if you dont speak it learn it or go home .

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
afishman where do you live . where i live you almost need to speak spanish to get fast food . I usually end up going in so i can point to what i want .

·
Registered
943 Posts
I LIVE IN THORNTON AND MY SON THAT IS 18 AND GOING TO COLLEGE CAnt even get an interview at a fast food restaraunt. i agree try to go through a drive thru

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Alrighty then.  The post started out good, asking for help and went down hill from there.  Threats of violence against people.  Dont see why you put signs up in spanish?  Speaking a language and reading it are different.  Signs help educate... yes some will not obey them, but if there is a sign in their language then there is no excuse.  
Oh and how is english not our national language?  This is taken from the CIA factbook (great site to have) http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html
Languages:
English 82.1%, Spanish 10.7%, other Indo-European 3.8%, Asian and Pacific island 2.7%, other 0.7% (2000 census)
You are kidding yourself if you say its some native american language, or even spanish since we bought this (majoritly unsettled) area of land from spain.

Ok back to the topic, There is a new area manager for the DOW named Shaun Deeney.  I'm sure this type of thing would be good for him to know.  New people always want to make a difference.  [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.