Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the family camping up at 11 mile canyon this weekend and decided to bring the fly rod along. I am not what you would call an expert fly fisherman (I buy my flies or bum them off a friend at work), but I absolutely slayed the trout over the two days. I honestly could not guess how many fish I caught, but is was a lot. Caught mostly bows with a few browns mixed in. I also believe the big one below is a cut throat or a cut bow as it had a nice orange/red slash below the gill plate -- for some reason it did not show up in the picture. I was mainly fishing with black/silver midges -- called black beauties I think, and a small red san juan worm. The big cut bow was caught on an egg sucking wooly bugger and I caught several small trout on a hi-vis baetis right before dark. Not a lot of top water action going on. If you are a new fly fisherman or thinking about giving it a try I would highly recommend 11 mile canyon as there are a ton of fish there.The section I fished is catch and release only -- which is shame -- some of those fish need to be culled as they have a nasty fungus growth all over them. The place was packed on Saturday -- but it did not matter as the fishing was great anywhere -- especially in the very shallow fast water. I was up next to the dam and ended Saturday with my 3 year old son breaking off a 16 inch fish that I caught on a midge pattern that I found in the mouth of a trout that I caught on a san juan worm -- the circle of life  ;D. He had a blast for the 30 seconds that he had it on.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
pescado loco said:
Great! But did you catch any trophy New Zealand Mud Snails?
Yeah be sure to wash your waders, so you dont transport these little buggers.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
mauser said:
yeah I stopped and washed my waders in Spinney :)
Well just to let you know 11 mile canyon has been infected with new zealand mud snails which is BAD! So with you wading in 11 mile then heading to spinney you more then likely carried that species into new water. That is why you should wash them before heading to new waters. The DOW should have big signs on this already up.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
-- some of those fish need to be culled as they have a nasty fungus growth all over them ---

I believe ive see that condition before, mostly while observing spawning rainbows and brown trout. i heard its from them losing thier coating of protective slime from either spawning activity or rough handling from fisherman...but i think they can recover from it unless the damage is too signifigant. just another reason not to handle fish too much them you catch them i suppose....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was a joke  ;D The wife would have killed me if I stopped off to another lake on the way home

ePiC said:
mauser said:
yeah I stopped and washed my waders in Spinney :)
Well just to let you know 11 mile canyon has been infected with new zealand mud snails which is BAD! So with you wading in 11 mile then heading to spinney you more then likely carried that species into new water. That is why you should wash them before heading to new waters. The DOW should have big signs on this already up.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of those fish had fungus over 90 percent of their body. One fish I caught looked like it had been chewed on by a bird and then spit out -- had open, oozing wounds and look quite gross
Rottal said:
-- some of those fish need to be culled as they have a nasty fungus growth all over them ---

I believe ive see that condition before, mostly while observing spawning rainbows and brown trout. i heard its from them losing thier coating of protective slime from either spawning activity or rough handling from fisherman...but i think they can recover from it unless the damage is too signifigant. just another reason not to handle fish too much them you catch them i suppose....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
mauser said:
Some of those fish had fungus over 90 percent of their body. One fish I caught looked like it had been chewed on by a bird and then spit out -- had open, oozing wounds and look quite gross
Without looking at the fish it would be hard to tell, but I caught a rainbow in pikeview that had something that looked like this and I took it to the DOW since its only a block away from there. THe guy there told me it was gill lice. Still pretty gross.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts