Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody been up to 11 mile canyon lately?

It's running low right now, but I hear its fishing well and accessible (little snow) -- can anybody confirm?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Its fishing ok. Was their a week ago - just as the weather started warming a bit. I do like the river too, but it gets a lot more pressure. i had a rare weekday up there, and I still had to share it with a couple dozen people.

I fished streamers through midges and caught fish across the board. Upper river was better as it didnt have the shelf ice (or any ice for that matter)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info...

Sounds like we're about to get some snow, so I guess my first 11 mile trip this year will have a wait a few more days.

Any bug activity besides midges?

·
Registered
216 Posts
April is prime time for the canyon. #20 black WD40, disco midge, miracle midge, rs2 in the ripples.

The big bows in the private water below the dam move downstream when mother nature calls and offer site fishin for 5 lbers+....

Also some trophy pike get thru the dam and hang that 1st mile of water.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only time I fish 11 mile is when a friend of mine wants to fish there. He loves the place, but I say it sucks. :)
I did great at 11 mile last year, so surprised you dislike it.... What rivers do you typically fish?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was hoping to make it up there last Friday - beautiful day. Unfortunately my boy gave me his cold and I was down for the count -- will have to wait for next week.

I typically throw small nymphs (size 20-24).. RS2 type patterns often work well for me, and when the water visibility is low san juan worms are often productive in my experience.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally had a chance to get up to the Canyon yesterday. The wind was brutal; I've fished the canyon a number of times since I've lived in CO, and yesterday was def the windiest to date. 10MPH constant winds with frequent gusts exceeding 30MPH.

I was on the river from 10AM - 3PM. Half of which was spent fighting the wind + shitty drifts. Landed 7 fish; lost 4 (boy I'm rusty). Size ranging from about 14" - 17".

I only took 2 pics as it's a pain to shoot photos without a waterproof device; I've almost dropped my cell and digital camera in a water a few times now. Thinking about ordering one of those sports cams.

Anyway, here's one of the small ones and one of the average sized fish landed.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Well done.. fishing in the wind can be lame.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well done.. fishing in the wind can be lame.
Thanks man.

It was definitely challenging, and I cussed the wind out more times than I care to mention :)

I had to fish with more weight than I would've liked just to target casts and keep enough tension in the line.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I HATE THE WIND!

Nice outing B Reelz! Way to tough it out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Ninja -- forgot to say thanks earlier... Thanks!

@vinnie -- Not many bugs (or fish) on the surface yesterday. I'll PM you my observations w/r/t the types of lies I saw *bigger* fish in. Not ready to fully divulge on the forum :)

@CF LURKER -- I hear you man, wind sucks. I'm just glad I got out yesterday; it's a fricken blizzard in the springs today!

·
Registered
342 Posts
The tail on the fish in the second pic is huge! You must have thought you had a huge fish on! They all seem to pull hard in the canyon.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I don't always fish in high winds. But when I do I switch to streamers...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts