Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I will be heading here soon based on what I have heard. I will take both spinning and fly rods. I cannot yet cast the fly rod very well, but I know how to drift nymphs on a short line. 6x tippet small enough? What size San Juan Worm as a lead, and what should I tie on as the dropper? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Loco

I fished the canyon last Saturday. I didn't use a San juan worm but use a size 14 olive scud on top and a size 20 BHPT on the bottum I doubt you'd need much more. I'll be up the river at Spinney this weekend something about 20 inch bows on size 12 scuds that makes a guy go every year.

Fish

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ive been getting them on size 16 and 18 BH Hairs ears. I have heard that the dry fly action is picking up also.

If the water is moving fast enough nothing beatch a small floating rapala. Let the current pull that puppy a foot or two under the water and hold on! :eek:
The current has to be going fast enough to give the rapala action though. flyfishcolorado can probably tell you how fast the water was since the last time I went it was only about 50 cfs.

I'll be hiking 3 miles in and fishing the South Platte on Sunday. Hoping for some top water there also.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great advice from both of you. Thanks! I also might hit Spinney if I can get away during the week. I just don't like fighting the crowds!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have to laugh when I read fight the crowds at Spinney you know other than the corner I've never had an issue where i had to wait to get a line wet. They cruise that entire bank I normally go over the dam park in that first parking lot and walk down never have more than a couple guys to either side and normally its not a hassel. As for the canyon I started fishing at that sign for the catch and release area and fished a 1/2 mile both directions saw 2 guys the whole day. Good luck if you are at Spinney I'll be wearing an orange hat stop by and say hey if you get a chance....

Fish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts