Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived a Emile a little later than expected :mad:. Sunrise was starting to show then I finally got on the water around 7am. Took the poles and gun out this time. Wanted to fish and  waterfowl. Duck hunt first and fish second. With the sun up I had no time to setup a blind so I simply decided to troll instead. Went for about 2 hours with no bite. Herd lot of gun shots going off. Saw a few people catching fish, but for the most part it was really slow. Kokanee snagging started  so it was really packed. Talked to the marina and only 2 fish were weighed ($100 for the biggest fish, that day only). I ended up not catching a single fish. Now for the best part of the day! I decided to set up my duck decoys around 9ish. Wife dropped me off with 48 decoys and 2 Mojo Ducks then she took off for some more trolling. Action started rite when I settled in. Shots fired were a little farther than I wanted. So I made a blind rite in the water about 30-40 yards from my farthest decoy. Had flocks and flocks of birds come in with a few singles. I ended up with my limit by 11:30ish.

2 Mallards
1 Pintail
1 Widgeon
2 Blue wing Teals

That made my day, my birthday. It was awesome. Also forgot to mention that  the dream stream is incredibly fast action rite now for kokes. The DOW has gates blocking fish from moving  up stream. Their planning the retract the eggs for future kokes. So all the fish are trap in that little stretch from 11-Mile. I?m not a fly fisherman but I try. Don?t even know all my fly?s yet, but San Juan worms and Midges are really good there. I think anything  with red on it. Almost every one there before me said 40 an hour. I said ?what do you mean?  they answered ? 40 kokes an hour?. Kokes were pinkish-reddish between 18-21?. What a day.

Fisher32 Duck hunting

Fisher Fly Fishing

Wife is Fly Fishing

M

·
0 Posts
Sounds like an awesome trip. I want to snag some kokes this weekend, but I've never done it before. Good job with the ducks.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice pics, gotta love those fall mornings

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O yeah, the kokes were pretty active. Within 2 miniutes of settleing down we saw kokes jumping all along that strech. From 3pm to dark. I managed to get one in about 18"and wife lost one. I think I was using the wrong fly pattern with no strike indicator. I was'nt rigged up at all for that river.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
nice report. im going to go this week sometime during the week so i can beat the people, i dont like to fish shoulder to shoulder, but i want to get some kokes in the river, i got some yesterday in the east river that were brick red, are the kokes in the river at elevenmile catch and release ? id assume no becuase of the dow but i was just wondering ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I never realized how much I envy you. Skills, motivation, adventure opportunities, wife drops him off to hunt while she goes off trolling..... What more can you ask for?

GREAT JOB!! I never even realized that eleven mile was a cast and blast location. I need to pay a visit to E-mile. Them kokes sound tasty. Kokaneeking's talk about brick red kokes get me quite fired up. I've got sticks of butter in the fridge that are getting lonely all due to the fact that I've deprived my tackle equipment of affection. Haven't gone duck hunting yet either  :'( .

Again, NICE! Great report. So um.... Can you keep the kokes on the dream stream? That's close enough for me to make a quick trip and hopefully, do half as well as you did.

1eyeGreenwithenvy

·
Registered
499 Posts
Sounds like a nice day ... unless you're a duck :D

I haven't been duck hunting in so long, I forgot how much I used to enjoy it.

Great pics too

·
Registered
193 Posts
Help a brother out here.

I decided to give 11 mile a try for duck hunting I don't want to take anyones secret spot but what area is more likely to have action. Looking at the map there are a couple nice coves that it looks like you can hunt from wondering if thats my best bet? Any help would be appreciated. I would rather hunt Spinney but that damn thing doesn't open till legal hunting time tough to throw decoys out in 15 seconds and start hunting....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Blackjack, the sign says c and r for all trout species. I was there this week end- I was still leary because I wasn't 100% sure, so I released the one koke I caught.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont have the link with me but i believe the reg booklet says catch and release only no mention of speices on that strech of river

1 - 13 of 13 Posts