Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished witchers cove, and fished in the channel. Caught 0 fish. we were using sweedish pimples and rainbow castmaster tipped with wax or meal worms.  This is the third time I have been there in the last month ,and I am getting frustrated. Can any  body help me catch a fish, or am I just going to have endure the wind and the cold and lie about how good the fishing was.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Are you using electronics?

D

·
0 Posts
Re: 11 mile frustration

What time are you fishing?  Personally, I always do much better from an hour before sunrise until 8:30 or 9:00 AM.  After that time, the sun gets higher and I believe the trout generally move deeper and get tougher to catch.  The biggest exception is on days with a thick cloud cover, then the fish may stay shallow longer.

Generally speaking, at 11 Mile, if you're not fishing before sunrise you're going to miss the prime fishing of the day.  That's been my experience year in and year out.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm thinking if he is fishing in the channel he is going for Kokes... If you are fishing for trout you should move into 10-20 FOW there is a little depression over by witchers cove that is anywere from 15-20 FOW I like that spot.... Or Stoll Mountain.
But if you are fishing for Kokanee you need electronice and alot of people have been having success with those jiggin boxes bringing them in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ePiC said:
I'm thinking if he is fishing in the channel he is going for Kokes... If you are fishing for trout you should move into 10-20 FOW there is a little depression over by witchers cove that is anywere from 15-20 FOW I like that spot.... Or Stoll Mountain.   
But if you are fishing for Kokanee you need electronice and alot of people have been having success with those jiggin boxes bringing them in.
I am using the jigging box, and on the fish finder they are there. Either they are not hungy or I just suck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 11 mile frustration

Don In Denver said:
What time are you fishing?  Personally, I always do much better from an hour before sunrise until 8:30 or 9:00 AM.  After that time, the sun gets higher and I believe the trout generally move deeper and get tougher to catch.  The biggest exception is on days with a thick cloud cover, then the fish may stay shallow longer.

Generally speaking, at 11 Mile, if you're not fishing before sunrise you're going to miss the prime fishing of the day.  That's been my experience year in and year out.
I have been trying to catch some of the kokes. We have started fishing at about 7am and left at about 2 when the wind was about to make my shelter a kite.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Whatever technique you are using, slib bobbers will improve it. If you live near the Springs, stop in and see Dave Powell at General Tackle off of N. El Paso (or is it Stone?) and he'll set you up with some of those yellow styrofoam pencil-like slip bobbers that he has on his front counter - and he's the only store that has them. Finicky fish that mouth your lures will be seen with a slip bobber. I've been fishing them for 3 years and have grown more to love them more and more every year.

Good luck and keep trying!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
_colorado said:
Whatever technique you are using, slib bobbers will improve it.  If you live near the Springs, stop in and see Dave Powell at General Tackle off of N. El Paso (or is it Stone?) and he'll set you up with some of those yellow styrofoam pencil-like slip bobbers that he has on his front counter - and he's the only store that has them.  Finicky fish that mouth your lures will be seen with a slip bobber.  I've been fishing them for 3 years and have grown more to love them more and more every year.

Good luck and keep trying!
thanks, I am willing to try anything. The kitchen sink did not fit through the ice hole. Even though it was tipped with a wax worm.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Are you marking fish on the fish finder?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was up there last saturday, fished off Stoll in about 11 fow. I was targeting trout, not salmon though. My first fish was iced at 6:30 a.m. The last around 11 a.m. I landed a total of 5, missed a few others. The biggest was 21 inch, 4 lbs.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey mojo,If you are still using the same tackle you were at granby,I think you need to go to lighter line (4#-6#)and either lighter rods or strike indicators.Small hot pink jigs tipped with half a meal worm seems to be the only thing that works for me @ 11 mile.Hang-N-There,Your days coming 8)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Mojo, if you keep seeing fish but you never get any hits you may be getting a little gas on your gloves from your auger and getting it on your lure. Try using one pair of gloves for drilling only and then put them away without touching anything else. I've seen people that don't do this get skunked right next to me using the same lure while I'm kicking trout butt. Adding scent will help too.

·
Registered
529 Posts
How deep of water were you fishing in and do you have a hut where you can see down in the water when fish come through? I never have much luck on kastmasters and swedish pimples either for anything, I failed with them last Saturday- but caught several kokes on orange jigs of about any type over at Coyote ridge last Saturday. They bit real light but we could see them in about 20-25 FOW about half way down most of the time. I had no special electronics or jigging machine either. If you have a hut, seeing them in the water and what they do is a big help in catching them.

Good Luck...

RW

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Walkin On Water said:
Small hot pink jigs tipped with half a meal worm seems to be the only thing that works for me @ 11 mile.Hang-N-There,Your days coming 8)
If you are marking fish I also think its a lure/bait issue... I like swedish pimples for salmon but the small pink jigs seem to be the best at 11mile.

·
Registered
529 Posts
nhurianek said:
where on the lake is Coyote ridge?  I don't have my big map with me right now.

It is on the North shore side of the lake, when you drive in from the lake george route it would be the 1st main left after you pass the 11 mile general store. It winds east and there is a parking lot where it ends.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Off smells on your jigs from you or your auger gas will definitely kill your chances of catching fish. I used for the first time this weekend the Berkeley salmon roe power dip to help my chances. It worked. $3 at sportsmans warehouse. You can also try the small ratso with a red head and orange body, tipped with 2 wax worms. Yes 2. Good luck, don't get discouraged, there are some real big pigs in 11 mile.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hello everybody! This my first posting on the forum. Looks
like you have a great resource here. I've been following
along the last week or so, and have picked up some
usefull information. It appears that "Ice Fisher" has got
the 11 mile thing figured out, might have to bleed him for
more info. Hope to get out soon so i can share some info
too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For trout 15-20 FOW 3" tube jig, not tipped dipped in Berkley Row, 4lb Florocarbon. That is what works for me at the mile. 11 mile fish also seem to be more line sensitive than at other places. Good Luck! :-\

1 - 20 of 25 Posts