Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flounder and I hauled our boat down to 11 Mile last Saturday for the first time ever. It was fairly slow for us, but we managed to get a few Kokes and Rainbows with our trolling gear. We also tried for Pike for a little while in Wichers Cove, but no dice. We caught almost all of our fish just up from the "no boat" zone on the south end, to the east of the big island down there in about 25-40 FOW. All of the rainbows were taken on an orange Needlefish pulled behind a downrigger. The lure the kokanee liked was an orange Super Duper. I think we spent the first part of the morning trolling too slow. Someone told us to work about 0.5 - 1 mph, but we didn't get much action until we started moving 1.5 mph.

I'd post a photo but I'm not sure what I need to do.

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
No need, we believe ya! Good job! I think you would catch more and bigger bos and kokes by going shallower and just drifting the boat while throwing and working kasty's.Sometimes you can see the schools go by!Most of the best fishing in my opinion is on from the middle to the west end.You will catch more fish by working lures than by trolling.Later-

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hey milehigh check this out for posting pics

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=172.0

read thru the first page of posts, that will give you a good idea how to do it they try to post a pic there for practice if you have trouble someone will help ya out for shure its real easy once you get the hang of it

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slayerfish,

While drifting, are you casting or are you drifting fast enough to pull the lures? What's a good depth to start at?

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I cast 'em.Virtually all my fishing there is done at 10-25 ft.Which is pretty much all the west half.Usually I let the lure sink almost to the bottom(you dont wanta hit bottom cause then you get moss on the hooks) and do a jig and drop retrieve.Although in July of this year,we caught all fish maybe 6 ft deep at the most.In this case you just start reeling constantly as soon as it hits the water. Check this out:

http://www.11milesports.com/fishingreport.html

M

·
0 Posts
Milehigh Eyes said:
  Someone told us to work about 0.5 - 1 mph, but we didn't get much action until we started moving 1.5 mph.
You'll find that you'll weed out most of the small kokes the closer to 2mph you get.
The 5 pounders usually hit around 1.8 (for me). I have had 20+ koke days on 11-M this summer but did not catch any 3-4 year olds till I picked up the speed and weeded out the slower 13 inchers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts