Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't care what the weather says, I'm going to 11-mile tomorow. I am staying down in the springs tonight with my sister and I'm gonna hit it in the morning. I've never been before. Any help on good spots would appreciated. I've got all the gear now just need some info on where to go.
THANKS

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What are you targeting? I would try Stoll Mountain for trout... close to the channel in 15-20 FOW (maybe shallower) Kokanee maybe out in the channel by witchers cove or deer island usually suspended around 30 ft deep... Will need sonar or fish finder to do any good with these guys.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have electronics and don't think I'm set up for salmon so trout it is. How far out from shore is the channel?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
hatchmaster, if you want to try your hand at a monster pike, all you need is some 6" or so deadbaits, a couple of trebles, some floro leader, and a tipup. This time of year I would focus on 15 ft or thereabouts off of rocky points...it is slow but when you get a monster is is well worth it, and I hear elevenmile has some monsters! My friend from golden has caught 5 10 pound+ pike there this year, with 13 pounds being the biggest, or so he says.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Actually that's not too bad of an idea for pike in that artice, if the pike are deeper anyway. Pike will suspend over deeper water in lakes containing trout, and/or crappie to feed on. I assume they target kokanee as well but I have no pike lake with a sufficient number of kokanee to verify this assumption at. The pike especially have a tendancy to suspend during times where their prey are actively feeding on plankton. However, in general, a higher percentage bet is the shallower waters (10-20 fow) off of rocky points this time of year. Now, in early ice, inside of bays and inside turns in there is the best (5-15 fow). That's a pretty good idea to try if you are not finding pike after several hours in your first spot. I'll give it a shot sometime. However, for lakers that technique would certainly fail, at least the top hook anyway.
Thanks for sharing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts