Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the ice at 6:30 and iced two fish off of Goose Island immediately. Then the action died. We drilled and moved all around Loop E (there were a few huts next to the honey hole by the rock) and only caught one 16" bow in 24' of water. We sat over the channel in 54' of water looking for kokes but didn't get a single mark on the Vexilar. About oone o'clock we buttoned up and moved out.

We set up at Stoll and the wind came up big time. The fish came in regularly though nothing was very large - they all ran 16-18" today. We hooked up about every half hour til dark. The jig-du-jour was the Ratso. Every iced fish came up on an orange Ratso. Orange Ratso with an orange head. Tipped with a waxworm.

The ice was totally quiet today as it never had the huge temperature swing during the day that we saw last weekend. Aside from the couple of huts near Loop E we nearly had the entire lake to ourselves today. It was great!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was there today in the same spot. I saw fresh holes, they were probably yours. My experience was the same. A few mid am, then it went dead.
Ever fished the bluffs on the south side before on the ice? That is one area where I really nailed em from the boat this summer.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Bluffs is an area that Justin-COS is very familiar with. You may want to PM him and get his ice fishing take on it. I've never fished there figuring that it would get awful dark, awful early sitting in the afternoon shadow of that bluff.

My holes were the 4 in a row variety (Frabill Venture hut) - the 2 x 2 belonged to Fly Chucker.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Colorado, I was wondering if it made a difference as to generally, what size Ratsos that you use on 11 mile. #6, #8, or #10???

·
Registered
555 Posts
yea, that would have been my guess, (I always use #10's, unless I hear any different from anyone who knows more about a particular place). After hearing about some of the hawgs that are possible at 11 mile, I was just curious it they were hitting larger jigs or not - thanks again for your response, now I don't have to go out and buy any more, :).
Okay, after checking the weather forcast for tomorrow, I have another question for you. I guess it's supposed to be rather windy at 11 mile tomorow (20 to 30 mph winds, probably a given there quite often). However, I was wondering if you could reccomend a decent, relatively sheltered area of the lake (if any). I was thinking about the Witcher's Cove area, any thoughts? I, like most, don't mind a bit of wind, but don't like being gone with it.
Otherwise, I'll probably hit one of the coves at Wolford, as they are expecting relatively mild conditions and a bit of snow. Thanks again, take care!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When the wind blows it is typically out of the west in which case there aren't any real good spots to avoid the wind. Two weekends ago I fished Corral Cove on the north side. I guess you could snug up to the rocks at the west point of the Cove and fish shallow water. Freshwater Cove just to the east may be your best bet for relief from the wind but it's a long walk just to test it. Everywhere that you can drive up to is fairly exposed, including Witchers. In my 20+ years of fishing 11 Mile the typical wind pattern is calm in the morning with the wind picking up around 11 and then dying down around 4PM. [Notice: I said 'typical']

The bottom line is just to expect wind at 11 Mile everytime and be prepared to deal with it. As for myself, I don't even think about it anymore. Just remember to anchor your hut or you could be in for a long run to catch up with it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey, thanks for the advice and input Colorado, I appreciate it. Hmmm, warm, windy, wet conditions at 11 mile or more comfortable conditions at Wolford??? Easy decision, I'll try 11 mile another time. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts