Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the east side of Howbert in 12 FOW. Despite howling wind in the Springs when I elft home, it was relatively calm at the lake upon arrival. That changed at about 11 Am when it really kicked up and actually bent the poles on my Shappell hut because the wind shifted and hit it broadside. Yikes! But I digress....

We had action as soon as we set up and had a nice 15.5 incher on the ice immediately. Lots of action on the Vex but it was too dark to see what was going on. After pulling up a few slimers in the 8-11" class I sunk the Aqua Vu camera down the hole and saw that there were schools of slimers patrolling that area. Must have seen over 100 slimers in a few hours on the AV. I tried a couple other places with no luck. Ended up with three 15.5 inchers that went home and a bunch of slimers landed and released.

Never saw so many small fish off of Howbert before. Oh, my buddy did see one large pike cruise by - must have had a field day with the slimers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks for the report, sounds like you did better than we did. We went Sunday and got the skunk.The wind up there can be almost scarey at times, too bad about your your hut.

I know they stocked 11 Mile through the ice awhile back so I'm wondering if all the little guys you saw were the stockers?

Glad you had a good day at the mile and thanks again for the report.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They may have been the November stockers because they were still schooled up. It was the lack of any sizable trout that was really disappointing. That's fishing.

Better luck to you next time too!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If we get down there, I'll remember to take the camera. That sounds like fun.
(Oh, but fishing with a camera is SO *cheating* isn't it! ;) Guarantees if the fish don't like your rig, you'll know immediately! We fish with our cam hung down the hole by the tail - totally worth it!)

Hmmm.... now if I rig up a tube on a minnow head... hmmmm...

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I fished Wichers that day, the wind was brutal!! It busted a hub on my new Summit, good thing I had an extra hub. We got the skunk, just fished from 10:30-1pm. Hub busted when i was taking down the hut.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nancy - that was my second trip with the AV so I'm just getting the hang of it. It was interesting to see fish on the screen then look down the hole at my jigs and not see any. They're there, just not necessarily approaching my jigs. Very interesting.

Jeff- sorry to hear about your hub. My buddy's Clam Thermal also has hub problems in the wind. There was only one hut on the east side of Deer Island as I was leaving around 2PM - one of the last guys on the lake in that wind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know what is worse? Going up and catching only a couple of fish and or getting skunked? Or going up and having a camera, seeing all kinds of fish, but still getting skunked or only catching a few slimers? That is why I probably still do not have a camera. LOL That and the fact that I cannot afford one. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts